Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Signature Needle Arts DPNs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  06:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
" Knitting needles are simple tools. They're basically a long shaft with a point at one end. And double-pointed needles (DPNs) have, as the name suggests, a point at each end. The circumference of the needle shaft determines the size of each stitch. The shape of the tip determines the ease with which you can manipulate your stitches. And the shaft material determines how the yarn will slide and how the needle will feel in your hand.

And yet, as is the case with most tools, something this extremely simple can also be extremely sophisticated. The Signature Needle Arts needles are a perfect example. These needles are made in Wisconsin by a high-precision custom metal component manufacturer. The company also makes things like surgical tool components and implants, hydraulic valves, and crime analysis equipment—things for which absolute precision and accuracy really could be a matter of life and death."
....... Read full review

Has anyone else used the Signature DPNs yet? Bewitched, bothered, bewildered, or bored by them?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Purrs918
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  07:18:32 AM  Show Profile Send Purrs918 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These needles are DEFINITELY an extravagance, and I thought long and hard about this purchase. Can you imagine how many sets of Brittanys you could purchase for $55? But after snapping another Brittany dpn, I started looking. I recall that Stephanie mentioned in an aside, "love em". So I did look at Signature Needles. I had to wait for the size 0 as they were still in production. I've had them now for about 2 weeks. It took a few days to get used to them, as I guess I hold my needles a little odd and my finger was a little sore because they do not bend, as do the wood. I did lose several stitches off the end, but once I learned to keep the stitches toward the center and not let them stray, I've been going full steam ahead! As Clara mentioned, the center section slides but holds, if that is possible. Let me mention here, that I am a relatively new sock knitter, but am now hooked. The needle tips are perfect, for my knitting at least, and I can get to those stubborn Knit two together or SSK with absolutely no problem.

I did email the company a couple of times and was impressed with the kind, thoughtful and prompt response.

So, the bottom line, will I buy more? Yes. But, in case Signature is reading this, I need to figure out how to be able to use larger dpns as my socks are fitting the best with size 0.

God created the cat so that man might caress the tiger.
Go to Top of Page

ristras
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  07:30:18 AM  Show Profile Send ristras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one set of the dpn's so far -- 5" size 2's -- and they probably won't be the last. These needles are a joy to use. I hadn't tried a dpn shorter than 6" before this as I was worried about the stitches slipping off the needles, but I haven't had that problem with the Signatures.
Go to Top of Page

Katie 2847
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  07:34:18 AM  Show Profile Send Katie 2847 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Clara, I'm always interested in trying to "tools". Where can you buy them and do they come in circular? Kathleen
Go to Top of Page

balancingact
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  07:36:46 AM  Show Profile Send balancingact a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I received a pair for Christmas and I love them. I got the 2.25 mm, the size I use most often for sock knitting, a set of 5 and they are worth the money. They are very lightweight, which I really like as I don't like the knitting being pulled by the weight of the needle and don't bend thru use like bamboo. Though they are expensive, over my knitting lifetime, the cost is minimal. Fabulous needles.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  08:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kgrom2847@hotmail.com

Hi Clara, I'm always interested in trying to "tools". Where can you buy them and do they come in circular? Kathleen

Hi Kathleen! These are only sold by Signature Needle Arts. And so far they are only available in single-pointed straights and DPNs.

The mind reels at what would happen -- perhaps what will happen? -- if they ever roll out a circular option.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  08:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess if Marie Antoinette had been a knitter she would have ordered these needles in a few sizes. Sorry, I couldn't resist...

They look fabulous and are a wonderful splurge but the people who can afford them least are probably the people who will want them most.

I will say I have previously looked at the Signature Needles site several times with the idea of trying a pair of straights. They look gorgeous but I was confused in the choice of tips. How do I know which is the one for me? The descriptions just don't do it. These needles need to be sold in LYS so one can see & feel the difference in the tips.

Ignoring everything else, the main reason I would hesitate on the dpns is that there is no 2.5mm size. For me, that is the most important sock size, the one I use the most, and the one I would want in these needles. I've noticed the American mfgs, other than Brittany, continue to omit this size, although Signature offers it in straights.

Finally, using Stephanie P-McP as an example is unfair unless the same price she paid is offered to everyone who wants these needles.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  08:59:58 AM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought a pair of these in size 5. I'ld been looking at the site for months buying other dpns and not being happy with the tips. I thought about it for months even posted on here if anybody had them yet. No response. They arrived last week and I love them. I did spend the extra money for the 5th needle. I love everything about them. And I will buy more. I showed them to my knitting group and everyone loved them, but there where a few people that would simply never pay that much for needles. But one knitter immediately bought a pair of straights after seeing my dpns.

I love using metal needles. I will buy more cause I'm worth it!

S)

Happiness is an inside job.
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  10:02:06 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally, nothing would induce me to add to the incomplete set of Brittany DPNs that I already own. I simply prefer knitting on two circs. That said, I knit some fingerless gloves in sock yarn a few years ago for DD and had the hardest time with the short fingers. Two circs simply do not have enough stretch for so few stitches. I had Brittany's in the right size but even the 6" length was awkward. It won't be in the near future but I love the idea of 4" needles for more fingerless gloves.

And I laughed until I cried over "Ribbed for her pleasure". I'm glad my sons weren't home, reading over my shoulder (which they tend to do when they're bored) but I loved it anyway!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap

Go to Top of Page

OPKnitter
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  11:43:59 AM  Show Profile Send OPKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What am I missing? What does lead use/disposal have to do with the creation of modern knitting needles, especially ones made of aluminum?
Go to Top of Page

MargieR
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  12:00:43 PM  Show Profile Send MargieR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These needles sound GREAT! Any chance she would consider making circulars?

"If there was a military solution to terrorism, Israel would be the safest nation on earth." Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  3:53:41 PM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the state of my budget I am glad I am DPN inept, and they don't make circulars (yet), because if the quality is as good as you all say, then it is worth the money!

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

spinningkat
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  07:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit spinningkat's Homepage Send spinningkat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am all for working with beautiful tools-it does add spice to the knitting experience-but I do not get what is so special and pricey about aluminum? I think the company might look at it's production costs to see where they can make improvements in efficiency to create a product that is more cost effective and appealing to a broader customer base. Just my opinion as a business owner...but not to take away from the precision and quality of the needles-I just don't think that precision overrides the fact that these are aluminum needles. Not my favorite material to knit with.

Kat
Check out news at Scarlet Fleece: www.scarletfleece.com
Go to Top of Page

FiberFevered
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  2:49:52 PM  Show Profile Send FiberFevered a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 3 pairs of Signature straights, all of which my husband and daughters gave me for my birthday and Christmas 2008; I had not wanted to spend so much myself on needles. All mine are 14" long, with stiletto points, different caps, in sizes 6, 7, and 8. I LOVE the stiletto points. They are so amazing that, although I usually prefer to use circs, I have begun to take up projects that will allow me to knit flat using the Signature needles! I have been hovering over the double-points but not buying because the price is so much more than straights, and I didn't even want to spend the $32 for those. But this review has convinced me to invest in one set of Signature DPNs because the longer length (6" or 8") is perfect for certain "Knit One Below" projects (I just got the Elise Duvecot book) and then, too, one can put a point protector on one end of a DPN and have a "straight" needle in a shorter length (6 or 8"), whereas my actual Signature straights are all 14". Now I just need to determine what size will be the most useful. And guess what will be on my birthday list this year -- more Signature DPNs.

FiberFevered
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  5:16:49 PM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, the review and the pictures made me lust for some, even though I don't use DPNs anymore. They sound like precision surgical tools or objets d'art, to be fetchingly splayed in a Baccarat crystal bowl when not in use. If they come out with circs, I would put a pair on my birthday/holiday/anyday gift list. Unlike the pricey exotic woods needles, these seem indestructible.
Go to Top of Page

poodlegirl
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  07:14:33 AM  Show Profile Send poodlegirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ihave some of the straights and also the dpns. I absolutely love them all. I understand that they are planning to come out with the curculars.

The stiletto points are great and make knitting intricate patternss so much easier. The quality of these needles is absolutely the best.

I would ove to have a complete set so I plan to drop hints for birthdays, Mother's Day, etc. etc. I hope my friends and family are listening!
Go to Top of Page

caroledward
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  05:13:35 AM  Show Profile Send caroledward a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a pair of DPN's which I am currently making my first pair of socks on. They are wonderful!! I feel like I am knitting with the precision of a surgeon. I just ordered the complete set of single points and another set of double points. I just can't say enough good things about these needles - they are beautiful and make my knitting so precise. I can't wait until they come out with circulars. I got the stiletto's and they are awesome.

Carole
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?