Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 errata posted for Sock Innovation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  1:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.interweave.com/corrections/Sock-Innovation.asp

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  3:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too bad that there are so many corrections. Well, at least we know about them! Thanks GFTC!
Go to Top of Page

SeeJaneKnit
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  7:47:21 PM  Show Profile Send SeeJaneKnit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone explain to me why there are so many errors in published knitting patterns? Especially socks. They aren't that complicated. What's the role of test knitters? Are they supposed to find "bugs" in patterns or are they knitting socks for the pictures? I'm really curious about this. Thanks for the heads-up GFTC.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  06:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I can see, most of these errors are typos or omissions. It's really difficult to make sure that every pattern is perfect. Test knitters work with the pattern in its early stages, and they tell the designer if there's an obvious problem, but most errors occur later at the publisher, when the text is being set for printing. In my experience, sock patterns are complicated to write and check -- pattern writing in general is much harder than it looks. Errata happens, and it's a shame, but I'm glad that they published these so quickly because now I can get knitting!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  07:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I have a nonsense question.

How do you adapt your book when there is so much errata?

Do you print an individual errata page for each pattern & keep the paper in the book at the relevant pattern page?

Do you take a pen to the pattern?

Do you note the errata on a post-it and stick it on the pattern page?

Do you staple the errata pages together & put them in the back of the book?

Do you wait to worry about it if & when you are going to knit the pattern in question?

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2605 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  07:41:06 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GFTC - some of the above, but I almost never actually write in the book. If the correction is minor, I write it on a sticky note and plunk it on the page of the book. If it's a major re-write, I'll print the page and put it in the book at the appropriate spot. There is one set of errata that I really liked, if one can say that about errata. I think it was for One Skein by Leigh Radford. The publisher posted the entire "offending" page in color to match the original book, with the changes highlighted. Nice. But mostly, now I wait for a second printing before buying a book. As I've said before, I think of first printings as version 1.0 of software - full of bugs.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  08:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually wait and worry about errata when I get to a pattern (checking on KR and at the publisher's website).
Then I do just like anderknit:
- small fix => postit note
- big fix => print the page, fold it and put it with the original page

When "Sensational Knitted Socks" came out, there were so many errata in the first printing that I sold my copy. Then I got a mostly error-free later printing...
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  10:21:15 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I write it in the book. It isn't pretty, but I'd probably lose it otherwise.
In books from my public library, I've occasionally found an envelope glued to the inside back cover with the printed errata pages tucked into it. That would be my plan B if I couldn't just write it in the book.

My pictures
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  10:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't worry 'til I'm about to knit the pattern. Then I do as above...post-it note for a small fix and print the page, put it in the book for large fixes. I usually print a copy of the pattern to carry around and I'm happy to write all over these copies but I won't write in a book. I tend not to buy first printings either because of the potential for "bugs".

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  3:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a cautionary note - because of the cost of re-typesetting, or whatever they call page set-up for books these days, some publishers are not correcting the patterns with known errata for the second printing. Waiting may not ensure that you get an error-free book.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2605 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  4:40:06 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheila - That has not been my experience thusfar, but I'll be sure to look out for it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a relatively recent development in publishing during the last 18 months or so, probably linked to the economy. It's especially ironic in that many authors are finding errors that weren't in what they actually sent to the publishers so were typos and errors in the set-up and printng of the charts, diagrams, and captions.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  04:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it is a shame that both sock books (this one and the Knitting Socks with Hand-painted Yarn) published by Interweave have so many errors. Both books are great books but i wonder if it is a coincidence or....
I have saved all the errors to my disk but I guess that writing in pencil in the books will be best since I find it so easy to forget which pattern had errors...

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
www.ravelry.com/projects/marjotse
Go to Top of Page

SeeJaneKnit
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  04:21:51 AM  Show Profile Send SeeJaneKnit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder too. Out of 15 patterns, 9 have errors. And how is it that the errata for both Handpainted Socks and Sock Innovation were available so soon after the books were released? Can people who have bought the books be notifying the publishers so quickly? Or is it that they know about the errors before they're released? How does that work?
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  4:10:04 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting this. I just started the Eunice socks. I didn't think there would be errata posted so soon. Now, my usual rant. Having proofed published financial statements for decades, I know it isn't that hard. One person reads out loud (spaces, periods, etc..), the other reviews the page. At the risk of sounding snobby, they choose not to. I realize the profit margin may not be that high on the books but my $ is as important to me as it is to them. I've taken to writing the changes right in the book if there are not too many and if it is a book that I don't think will be donated to a library one day.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
please note: these comments are about knitting books & publishers in general, NOT THE COOKIE BOOK alone. If you read the Yarn Harlot this week she was complaining that even the errata has mistakes on the pattern she is making from a knitting magazine.

I've been thinking about this errata situation, not just on this book but on all the new knitting books that come out. I used to avoid buying the book until the second printing hoping that the corrections would be made.

With business in general the way it is, however, if it's a book that I positively know I will want to own I am hesitant to wait. There is no guarantee that there will be a second printing or that the publisher won't be bought by a bigger company with bigger printing minimums and I don't want to be chasing down the book on ebay.

But I have to say that a book that has 15 patterns and 9 have immediate errata constitutes 60% of the book being "defective." I just read on Ravelry that more misprints have been identified. **

If there is a second, corrected printing I really think the consumer should be entitled to exchange the defective book for a first quality one from the second printing.

I bought the Cookie book at 40% off at Knitpicks so I will dutifully print out the errata and put it in the book and keep my mouth shut and be happy that I own the book. Had I bought it full price at Barnes & Noble or Borders or LYS I might feel differently.

**As seen on Ravelry:
this was an error and the official correction will be:

Bottom of first column on page 120. Replace “Work Set-up chart for 1 rnd” with “NEXT RND: K2, p2, work Pattern chart row 2 5 times, p2.”

The set-up rnd replaces row 1 of the chart for the first repeat only. This will be posted online as soon as possible.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

596 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  9:18:25 PM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why wouldn't you write the corrections in the book, especially minor corrections. Major ones may be difficult to write in and I would indicate on the page that corrections are on a sheet at the back of the book. There's nothing sacred about a book, especially if the info it contains is incorrect.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  5:41:27 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not writing in books can be traced back to my childhood (I'm 51). Schoolbooks and library books were on loan only and not to be defaced. I was an obedient child. I also love reading and books and have always tried to keep them pristine, especially those I received for birthdays and Christmas. We had everything we needed as children but not a lot of extras. We tried to take care of everything we did have. It wasn't until later in life, in undergraduate and graduate school that I finally broke down and wrote in books as they were deemed outdated as soon as the semester was over. I've only started considering writing in the corrections for some of my knitting books. Others I will print out and keep in the book. I acknowledge this is a hangup of mine. It also makes me crazy when DH folds over the page to mark his place. I try to keep extra bookmarks handy.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

596 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  1:20:35 PM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carol, I can relate to that. As a child our schoolbooks were rented and, of course, library books are not to be defaced. Turned down book corners offend me, but when the book is mine and needs to be corrected, I do. I think there's no point in having a pristine, error filled book of directions.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the process of scribbling throughout the book, very liberating. I'm also saving my printer/ink. Thanks again for the topic.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

Pink Knittiac
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile Send Pink Knittiac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm appalled at the number of corrections that must be made to the text and charts. I bought the book to give as a gift (plus one copy for myself), but now both copies are going to stay in my bookshelf. I would feel ashamed to give a gift book to someone -- with a printout of ten pages of corrections! I will not buy another book from Interweave until long after its release so that I can check on the number of errors.

Nerak
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.