Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Fiber Gathering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  05:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's fiber festival time!

To the outside observer, fiber festivals may seem to be all about commerce. At these festivals people fall in love with skeins of unusual yarn and bags of intriguing fiber, buy them, stuff them into their cars (with perhaps a sheep or two) and drive away, happy.

But this is only part of the story. Fiber festivals are also about finding community and celebrating a common passion. And it is from that perspective that Joanne Seiff sets out to document the fiber festival tradition and culture.

-- this week's review of Joanne Seiff's Fiber Gathering

And our very own Shelia January and Jennifer Heverly have patterns in it. Woo hoo!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  8:49:29 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think fiber festivals and TNNA gatherings and other knitting events serve an age-old purpose of getting like-minded people together for exchange of ideas, materials, skills, and so on.

Back in the day, there may have been flint knappers conventions, for all we know!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5192 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  05:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eldergirl
Back in the day, there may have been flint knappers conventions, for all we know!

There are flint knappers' conventions now! My friend Kelly went to one right near my folks' house last summer. He can really, really flint-knap now, and is pretty fast starting a fire with flint and tinder, and learned all sorts of other cool things.

I love festivals more for the people I get to spend time with than the shopping. I certainly love to have nice wool and fiber, but the friendships I form, the fellowship of chatting with people who hold so much traditional knowledge of fiber arts, and hanging out with beautiful livestock are what it's all about. I am waiting for Maryland Sheep and Wool with bated breath.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  5:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was so intrigued by Clara's review that I ordered a copy from Powell's (didn't hurt that I had a bunch of store credit waiting there for me). It came today. I just had time to page through it with Baby Luann, who loved looking at the photos of the animals. He was so happy to see the yak, a set-up for one of his favorite baby jokes: "Oh, yuck! A yak!" [laugh and repeat 10 to 20 times]. He just fell asleep and I am scooting down to the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea and curl up with the book, which is as close as I will get to a fiber festival for at least another year.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Now with baby musk ox!:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  6:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do think that the photos are really nice, capturing the fun, animals, color and people of sheep & wool festivals. The folks out here in Oregon, though, are a mite touchy about this book. No one is very happy about Black Sheep being pretty much described as the "party festival". (I personally wouldn't know anything about late night cocktails in the parking-lot-turned-campground, of course)

Congratulations to Joanne on a great book!

By the way, the the book samples of my sweater and Jen's mitts will be on display in her booth, Spirit Trail Fiberworks, at MD Sheep & Wool.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

glamknits
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:41:39 AM  Show Profile Send glamknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there's a really good little fiber festival this evening in Snohomish Washington at St. Michaels Church from 7-9pm.

I went to the last one and a couple of tables had yarn for a DOLLAR and there's lots of fluff, fleeces, angora, crafts, dyes etc etc. i like the prices. $2 for a bag of Angora fresh off the rabbit.

I think the address is 1512 Pine

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?