Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: What makes a great knitting retreat?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  07:00:44 AM  Show Profile Send forrestwife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In this weeks knitters review you referred to the yarn a single-ply.
Ply refers to two or more strands twisted to make a single strand, 2 ply, 3 ply etc.
One strand of yarn, unplied is called a single


Permanent Resident

2390 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, if we're getting excrutiatingly technical here, the strand of spun, unplied yarn is a "singles". It's one of those terms that has an s on the end even if you're only referring to one strand.

Hmmm - did I just have a small attack of spinning-police-itis? I think I need to go off and do some free-form knitting to exorcize it.

ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

queen bee

4414 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  10:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Robyn, and welcome to Knitter's Review! As Shelia notes, a single strand of twisted fibers is technically called a "singles." When I wrote about this kind of yarn in the most recent Spin-Off, I did refer to it as such. Here at KR I used the more common term "single ply" simply for the sake of being understood by a wider audience of knitting readers.

But to continue the mystery even further, if you un-twist a commercially spun singles, you'll often find more than one ply in there. They do this to help stabilize and strengthen something that is innately not all that stable.

The world of yarn is quite interesting, isn't it? Shelia, save some of that free-form knitting for me.

Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  11:05:53 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Clara

Here at KR I used the more common term "single ply" simply for the sake of being understood by a wider audience of knitting readers.
Yep, I'd be one of those wide knitters that wide audience. (Ahem.) If you had used "singles" in the article, I'd have thought it was a typo. Learn something new every day!

Welcome to KR, Robyn! We learn (and teach) an awful lot here. And we love it! Glad to have you!

My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  12:48:04 PM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And we can really muddy the soup and talk about the British use of the word "ply" and "worsted" LOL, gotta love it!

Welcome Robin! Pull up a chair, have some tea!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2015 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe