Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 Uh oh, light colors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1741 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  9:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't even know what possessed me to use pink, sage and Aran white for a felted piece , but I did. (Brown Sheep LP worsted, if anyone cares.) It hasn't gone in the washer yet. I'm concerned about the bleaching process the fiber/yarn might have undergone during processing, and would like to neutralize it some.

Would soaking overnight (in something more than water) help open up the fibers so that felting will take place? I thought I'd save the hot water for the washer.

I hopped some around the archives and noticed baking soda and wool wash as possibilities. Normally, I use a little bit of Dawn in the washer, and it works great. I also now have the right needle size, which has helped to felt other pieces really fast. But these colors this time......

Thanks,

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1741 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  12:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: I soaked the piece for 5 hours in water with some baking soda, then dumped the water before it went in the washer, adding more BS with some Dawn. It felted just fine, and is drying now!!! The LP colors I used were Aran, Victorian Pink and Khaki, btw.

Where's the best place to set up a blog to show off all this stuff??

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  12:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Put your pictures on Flickr and join Ravelry and you can post your pictures there for all to see even if they don't read your blog. There is room on your project page to tell tips, tricks, descriptions, whatever you want on both Flickr and Ravelry.

On Ravelry you can post the pictures on your personal project page, group project pages, cross-referenced to the yarn and pattern, and you can embed the pictures into any post you make. There is even a group called "Look What I Made!" Way more people will see your work on Rav than on a blog.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.