Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 The Greatest Hedgerowalong on Earth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  05:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on my second mitt, and still loving every stitch. Here's a photo of the first one (this Redwood color is so hard to capture, especially on a cloudy day!). I'm hoping to have time to finish the pair this weekend.

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  05:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane, that's so pretty! I'm used to that colorway being a bit more brown--is the picture rosier than the real mitt?

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  06:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lanea

Jane, that's so pretty! I'm used to that colorway being a bit more brown--is the picture rosier than the real mitt?

You betcha -- I don't like the color in that photo, and I'm going for a re-do as soon as the golden orb returns to the sky.

Jane

Go to Top of Page

knitandsing
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  10:38:08 AM  Show Profile Send knitandsing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I finally saw Jen to ask what yarn of hers I am using for my mitts - she thinks it's Helen in the Venezia colorway. Whatever it is, I love it! I am almost to the increases on my first mitt - I will have some time to myself tomorrow and plan to knit all afternoon. Still don't have a pic - maybe I should do that too...

Penny
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  3:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost done with the pair of Hedgerow mitts: I just need to knit the ribbing on the second mitt and the thumbs for both mitts (yes, I hate knitting thumbs...)

Lanea, this will be my FIRST handknitted item for DH. So this is high praise for your pattern that he would like it enough to let me knit it for him!!
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  3:53:18 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never did get to knit on the 24th. Last night I knit enough to add the extra pattern sts up to 72. Can't wait to get back to them!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns

Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  7:25:47 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was almost done with mitt 1 when I decided to frog back and remove the increases before the gusset. I just wasn't happy with how my (fat) arm stretched the pattern to capacity and the back of my hand barely at all.
I should have just stuck with it though and knit another pair without the increases. I was literally an inch and the ribbing from being done. But oh well! And since I had frogged I also attempted to do different gussset, but I think I hurt my brain with all the thinking so I gave up on that.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  12:15:12 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is anyone running into the "left hand" "right hand" thumb gusset thing? You know, when even the ambidextrous patterns fit funny on the left hand?

My first pair of Fetching, I did exactly as the pattern called for and I honestly got two right-handed mitts. When I made my son's pair, I made the thumb gusset at the beginning of the second circular and his pair really did fit better.

Any thoughts?

Melanie

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns

Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished DH's pair of Hedgerow mitts, there's a picture on my blog.

Melanie, the left/hand thing didn't happen as far as I know -- DH tried them on and he said they were OK.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  05:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, I am so honored! I hope he likes them.

Melanie, the problem I've run into with mitt patterns twisting on the hand, or on one hand and not the other, has stemmed from the fact that most mitts only increase in size on the thumb side, while most hands broaden on both sides of the mitts. For me, the hedgerows don't twist or pinch or wear strangely.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  09:57:37 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That makes sense. Thanks!

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  1:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost done with the hand of the first mitt. I guess my Frija is coming out a bit bigger, now that you mention it Jennifer, but I like it that way. The yarn is so sproingy that it doesn't feel loose at all. My hands aren't big but neither are they slender so I like having room in the palm area.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Now with baby musk ox!:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

asquireswife
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  6:16:43 PM  Show Profile Send asquireswife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost finished with the first mitt. I've been having a great time knitting, even though most of my knitting has been out by the pool (sort of a strange place for knitting woolen mitts ). The yarn is a bit on the thick side for this pattern, so I didn't do the hand increases, and the pattern doesn't show very well since it doesn't stretch much over the hand...but I love it anyway. So very soft and cushy. Maybe I can post a more current pic tomorrow, but here's one I took a few days ago. And here is one of my reasons for not having enough knitting time (but I'm not complaining )
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  09:21:21 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, how did you do the url/link thing? Is the picture on Flikr or on your blog or what? I think the color of your yarn is beautiful.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Amarula
Chatty Knitter

215 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  10:41:39 AM  Show Profile Send Amarula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I finished my pair yesterday - after ripping back and re-knitting the equivalent of five mitts! But I used almost all of the yarn (a very small ball leftover), by shortening the mitts and by not making the first set of increases - not needed in any case since I knit a bit loosely. Love the pattern and yarn! Haven't figured out how to link a picture here yet, but maybe I can work on that over the holiday weekend!
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  1:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baby toes? Baby toes and knitting! Two of my favorite things!

Luann (maybe 11 of my favorite things...)

Knit and let knit!
Now with baby musk ox!:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  2:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lacylaine

Ooh, how did you do the url/link thing? Is the picture on Flikr or on your blog or what? I think the color of your yarn is beautiful.

Clara explains how to link to photos and websites on the KR Forums FAQs page. When I first joined KR (back in the Olden Days) I was a dork and printed out the information, and it's come in handy many times since then!

To link to a photo, insert its url (from Flickr or wherever) where it says "linkto" in the tutorial.

I'm not getting as much knitting time as I'd like, but I hope to finish my mitts soon. 4th of July weekend is the real "start" of summer at the bookstore, and we're busy getting ready. And Summer People minus nice beach weather equals a busy store!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  7:03:44 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jane! I've finished increasing for the thumb gusset. I really love this yarn and can't believe that I didn't keep the label when I wound it/it was wound for me back in the day. I honestly don't even remember buying it.

Anyway, maybe I can get a picture posted at the Facebook group page and then do a link here at KR. One more inch and I can put the gusset stitches on a holder. I think I can finish at least one mitt before I leave on the 11th and maybe even start the second one. I am sorely tempted to take this project to AT but am concerned with the fragile dns.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  9:15:57 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok strike what I said before, I went back again and added the increases. I kept going back and forth on how I wanted and finally decided this time around will be mostly to pattern.
So now I am done with mitt 1, but the thumb gusset increases instead of working in pattern I left those k4 p2 with a patterned section in between. Still don't like how the hand portion isn't very stretched and the arm is very stretched, so I think I will maybe make another pair with an extra repeat or two on the arm, decreasing before the wrist and leaving off increases for the hand, only adding the gusset. Fat arms really mess up a persons knitting don't they?

So on to mitt 2! I'm 3 days behind schedule.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  03:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mindy, have you tried using larger needles for the cuff, and smaller needles for the hand? That's what I did, since I have the same "arm syndrome" that you do. I started out with 2.5mm's and went down to 2.25's. It worked perfectly, and the hand fits very well. I do it on all my socks, too, because I seem to have the same problem with my calves!

Jane

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000