Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Fran's 10 minute "rule" - who's with me?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  2:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our lovely Fran has a 10 minute rule, i.e. knit on an unfinished project 5 or 10 minutes a day until it is completed.(See here)

Is anyone interested in joining me in following Fran's rule, finishing some projects, posting on their progress, and cheering other people on?

My 10-minute a day project is a Sivia Harding shawl that I started during the 2007 KR retreat. The problem is that my knitting time is mostly during commuting and I can't do lace on the go. So I'll try to knit 10 minutes a day at home and have a finished shawl for this fall!

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2606 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  2:52:02 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe (I dare not look) that I have a sweater in my knitting bag that I began 2 summers ago. As I recall, it is "almost" done. All I have left is to sew some seams, weave in the ends (some fair isle work was involved) and sew on the buttons. While sewing seams and sewing buttons don't lend themselves to the 10 minute rule, certainly weaving ends does. So, even though it's not technically "knitting", can I join you?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  3:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have (at least) two pairs of socks that I can finish if I apply the 10-minute rule. Once I get my second Hedgerow mitt going, I think I'll join you! If I can get the socks out of the way, there are two shawls that I want to get back to, too.

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  3:14:47 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. I promised to make some squares for a charity group and never got started. I want to start my hedgerow mitts this week too. So, ten minutes a day, thanks for the good idea. Warmly, Chayah

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  9:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea! I have most of a second glove to go - first one started 3 or 4 years ago. I proudly finished it off this winter, started the second, and let it go back into UFO limbo. Just the right project for this plan of attack!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Now with baby musk ox!:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1940 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  05:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in. I have a sweater that needs 2 sleeves (top down so it's all attached), a shawl that's buried, and a lace wt sweater lanquishing in the car.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  06:39:44 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2 weeks ago I would have joined, but, I've been on a knitting frenzy, and I'm down to stuffing my fiber trends flamingo and the last sock in a set of six I'm giving husbeast.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  07:36:30 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I better hop on the 10 min. train. 2 beaded scarves, Mystery Shawl 4 and my dh's wool winter sweater. I will pick the wool pullover and the MS4.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
550 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  08:06:54 AM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm on the 10 minute train. I am working on a knitty pattern from last winter - a cowl and I can't remember the name of it. I am using a qiviat blend laceweight that I got at Rhinebeck and I don't want to waste the yarn on a UFO.

Today's 10 minutes is starting as soon as I log off the computer.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  08:11:14 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in too. I've been working on Hanami for almost a year, and ten minutes a day could get me two rows.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure. I'm working on a bag that I'm translating into knitting from a crochet pattern. It's pretty simple, but I'm using some Red Heart a well-intentioned secret santa got me for Christmas at a really tight gauge and I can't believe how horrid this stuff is on my hands! (Particularly after I just finished a scarf in Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk!) How did I ever learn to knit with this stuff*?! Ten minutes a day should be perfect for this!

*I am not a yarn snob and generally enjoy working with acrylics just as much as any other kind of yarn. But there are much better acrylics out there!

Gone Crazy, Back Soon
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  12:23:07 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll join with an Aran Isle Drops sweater, and purple hempathy mitts. I would have joined the hedgerow mitts but have socks going in that pattern. sigh..

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since so many are interested in starting this, I better elaborate on this a little.

First... the 10 minutes applies to just one project so pick your favorite. If you pick 2 that's 20 minutes a day, 3 is thirty, etc. Personally, I would rather work 10 minutes on one at a time.

Second and more important, 10 minutes is the required amount, you can work on it as long as you like, but you can't do tomorrow's knitting today. You have to put in your 10 minutes tomorrow, anything over 10 minutes is just an advantage to your project. Time doesn't accumulate. And yes, you can sew a seam in 10 1minutes, or half a seam or just a few stitches. Whatever you do, it is more than you do by ignoring it.

I once had a terrible time with a lace project because all I could do in 10 minutes was get reoriented to it. I turned it into a 15 minutes project and then got it finished.

After your obligatory 10 minutes, you can do whatever you please. I found that most of the time I did one of two things, work on it a little longer or went to bed......lol.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  1:58:14 PM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in. I recently found one fetching fingerless glove that I had completely forgot about and never made the other. I'm going to need to look for the pattern tonight!

Happiness is an inside job.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SkeinHerder
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  4:31:29 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like maybe the motivation I need to finish the Great American Aran Afghan I was making for a wedding present for my DS and DIL who got married almost 5 years ago. It's just the cabled edging I have left to do.
judy
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  6:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran, you've got quite the following!!

I knitted 30 minutes yesterday and 10 minutes today on my lace project (like Kim, 10 minutes give me about 2 rows). Woohoo!
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  05:28:31 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some laceweight Tencel--I've been putting off the project for a long time because it's tough to work with, so I'm in! I can do 10 min a day....
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2606 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  07:50:22 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an abject failure so far. Yesterday I only got as far as digging the sweater out of my bag and gasping at the number of ends still to be woven. I suppose it took me 10 minutes to recover from that, so does it count? (Don't answer that!)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  08:01:39 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I planned an hour to do Hanami but only ended up wtih 20 minutes, but got 4 rows done yesterday. This is really a great idea, it makes me feel in control! A feeling I have so rarely......

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  09:55:27 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too am a failure so far, but I live with hope. Maybe today.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  10:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in, too! I have a sweater that's been totally languishing, and a lace scarf that needs the border knitted on, and a pair of socks ... I'll start with the sweater because I really would like to finish it before Fall 2009.

I'll start tomorrow, though, because my today is totally booked with an all-day dye session, and I doubt I'll be up for doing anything tonight other than a book and a small glass of wine.

Great idea!

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by