Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 best yarn for adult afghan?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

babycarolnancy
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:55:31 AM  Show Profile Send babycarolnancy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,

I want to make an afghan, but am not sure what yarn to get. What do you think is the best yarn for an afghan? And is there a certain yarn I should stay away from? Thanks!

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  1:15:24 PM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used Berroco Comfort, Wool Ease and Vanna's Choice. I've always wanted them to be washable. I love berroco comfort because it is so soft. Joann's has a new yarn out by someone that I can't remember the name of.

Happiness is an inside job.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SkeinHerder
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  1:24:11 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three great choices for Afghans. Afghans are always easier to use and enjoy when machine washable, just as SkeinHerder suggests.

There are washable 100% wools but they can't really be washed in machines; they can be washed at home but it's just a heavy, wet job though. I would stay away from those.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  4:40:53 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite for blankets/throws is Plymouth Encore (mostly acrylic with about 20% wool). It comes in a huge range of colors, wears well and is machine washable.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  4:52:29 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There isn't a "best" yarn for anything. The "best" choice is that which suits your purpose. Do you want wool? Do you want machine wash/machine dry? Do you want a yarn with good stitch definition that suits the pattern your making? Do you want to spend a little or is that not an issue?

All that said, I have used superwash wool (in particular Cascade 220 superwash) and had excellent results with machine washing. I'm a big fan of Encore (as Gelliott mentioned) because it's very easy to care for and comes in a wide range of colours.
Go to Top of Page

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  5:10:22 PM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Encore's a good choice too! I completely forgot that one. I think I use Encore and Berroco most because I like to support LYS as much as I can.

Happiness is an inside job.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SkeinHerder
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.