Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Economic / big business
 Starbucks & Charity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2009 :  10:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This morning I went to Starbucks to buy 1 lb coffee beans. I chose the same flavor I always get and noticed they raised the price a bit over $1. I checked some of the other flavors that I've used and sure enough the $1 price increase is across the board. Didn't think that much of it since the prices have been the same forever but I chuckled to myself about all that I have been reading about Starbucks "lowering their prices".

Fast forward to reading the Sunday NY Times. There is a color 1/2 page ad (first section, p.14, big $$$) from Starbucks telling how the planetary-concerned & charitable Starbucks is contributing to the Global Fund in Africa. How much? $1 per bag of whole bean coffee.

Now that is all well and good but c'mon. It seems to me that Starbucks is actually contributing nothing. They are taking an extra $1 from the consumer and giving it to charity and reaping a fat corporate tax deduction.

These companies are so freakin' dishonest.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2009 :  11:40:16 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't that interesting? It certainly isn't charity on the part of Starbucks. Letter to the editor time? I'll have to check the Washington Post and see if the same ad is in there too.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly the Bronx Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  08:22:37 AM  Show Profile Send Beverly the Bronx Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems to me the customers should get the credit for the donation.

Blessings, Beverly
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  11:48:10 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Misleading at best.....I wish they would give you the option to contribute $1 rather than taking all the credit for it themselves.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  3:25:54 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's really slimy.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  05:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And who is getting the tax credit?

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  06:41:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And who is getting the tax credit?

quote:
Starbucks is.....reaping a fat corporate tax deduction.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  4:09:25 PM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't that the same thing Denise Knitting Needled does when it charges $5 extra for the pink needle set and then donates the $5 to breast cancer? Seems to me the customer is donating.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  8:17:39 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is coincidence. The price of coffee has risen all over, and a major promotion such as this is in the works for months. As GFTC stated, prices had been static for a long time; the most recent increases may have been to much to keep absorbing.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  10:17:29 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it's very common that companies pass the cost of the donation onto the consumer. I actually try to avoid shopping with companies that toot their own horn about donating to charities. It's my money and I have my favorite charities that I donate direct to. I don't need a surcharge on my purchases. These companies have a heck of a nerve. They just want the PR.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  5:36:39 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they want the PR. And although I stress that I am NOT suggesting the following about Starbucks, I have read that there are companies that ask customers to add $1 or $2 to their purchase totals for some charity or another, and then they do not actually carefully account for those donations. They might make a donation (or not), but there are often not good internal systems for ensuring that the donations are accurately accounted. In the piece I read, it was suggested that if you want to donate to a charity, do it directly (and reap the tax benefit if you itemize), but not through your store purchases.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe