Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 FAVORITE NEEDLES KNITTING LACE?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ann2Knit
Warming Up

50 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  05:55:03 AM  Show Profile Send Ann2Knit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Experienced lace knitters: What is your favorite needle for lace knitting with fingering weight yarns? (I have tried knitting lace scarves using the addi Turbo needles that constitute the majority of my stock since I started my knitting life making hats, sweaters and socks using almost every natural fiber yarn in various weights except fingering. The addi Turbos make me crazy for fine lace knitting -- the tips are too blunt, the needles too slippery.) I will be grateful for suggestions for the right needle.

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Addi Lace needles. I don't like Turbos (for anything) but the gold done lace needles are wonderful. They are pointier and slightly less slick with really nice joins and great cables.

Jayme

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  2:29:48 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite is the Knit Picks. The points are long and slender and I love them. In fact I knit with them pretty much exclusively.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  2:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try the Addi Lace needles. I hate them because I'm a pusher and they poke holes in my fingers, but I can see how they'd be great for lace. Sharper point and a little less slippery than regular Addi Turbos.

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  2:47:42 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll add my vote for Addi Lace needles. I resisted for awhile on principle (not another type of needle to buy!), but I was swearing like a sailor using my old needles.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  2:48:10 PM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Knit Picks needles. They are great for lace. The different tips (nickle, wood and acrylic) are all interchangeable and use the same cables so you can have your choice of what needle to use. All of the different tips have the sharp tip.
Go to Top of Page

Ann2Knit
Warming Up

50 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  3:00:10 PM  Show Profile Send Ann2Knit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you one and all for great advice. My LYS has the Addi Lace Needles in stock. I'll try those next (off the the LYS tomorrow) and then maybe the Knit Picks, although I have so many needles already that I have resisted starting over with interchangeable tips. (I did try Bryspun, but hate straight needles since I knit on the subway and they stick out too far.)
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  5:35:06 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a longtime lace knitter and my favorite needle is Inox/Prym. That would be the Teflon pearl grey needles not the Inox Express nickel plated ones. They have a nice tapered point with an enamel finish that is not as slick as metal but smoother than wood or bamboo and it works well with fine weights of yarn.

They were the standard before the Addi Lace needles came along. The Addi Lace needles are very popular but I still prefer my Inox as the Addi Lace needles have too drag for me. They are also about half the cost of the Addis :) By all means try the Addis but if your LYS carries the Inox give them a try also.
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  12:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the addi lace. I do find them too slippery for some yarns, in which case I sharpen bamboo needles to the point I want.

Midnightsky Fibers
Vegetarian and Environmentally Friendly Handspun & painted yarns, fibers, and kits
Midnightsky Fibers Livejournal
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ann2Knit
Warming Up

50 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  07:33:52 AM  Show Profile Send Ann2Knit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such great information. I ran out yesterday and bought one Addi Lace and (for me) it is a great improvement over the Bryspun, which I turned to when I had problems with the regular Addi Turbo. Inox/Prym sounds interesting, but hasn't turned up in my search for lace needles...will try to get it online. Sharpening bamboo! Wow! That would be an adventure that carries some risk. This has been fun....Many thanks, Ann
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  10:26:50 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are interested in ordering the Inox needles online I've ordered them from both Kaleidoscope Yarns and Schoolhouse Press. They are the only brand that Schoolhouse Press carries actually so no confusion if you order from them :)

I've had very good experience with both places in terms of service.
Go to Top of Page

Drusy
New Pal

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  01:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Drusy's Homepage  Send Drusy a Yahoo! Message Send Drusy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the VERY pointy wood needles made by Ed Jenkins, http://jenkinswoodworking.com/Knitting_Needles_Crochet_Hooks.htm and available in the UK at www.purlescence.co.uk. Every pair is different and the cable is very flexible.
Go to Top of Page

Beffie
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  03:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beffie's Homepage Send Beffie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try the short bamboo needles from Beffie's Boutique for any small project. They are only 17 cm long! The are available in sizes 2 - 8. Bamboo would not be as slippery as the Addi's. www.BeffiesBoutique.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  05:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Beffie, and welcome to Knitter's Review! We encourage folks to advertise their products in the Sales and Shop News section. Since your username is so similar to the name of your boutique, I think most people will be able to figure out that you're advertising your own needles instead of making an independent recommendation, so we're ok. Again, welcome to KR!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Dancermarie
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  06:05:42 AM  Show Profile Send Dancermarie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite needle is Knit Pick's Harmony. The wood is sooooo smooth and easy to work with. The best needle I've used in over 40 years of knitting.
Go to Top of Page

esther@yourlink.ca
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  06:20:19 AM  Show Profile Send esther@yourlink.ca a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Signature Needles, sharp point - usually 2.75mm, or 3mm. If I require a circular, then of course Addi Lace is the best there is!
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  07:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll throw my hat in for Addi lace needles, too. I love them, and now use them for just about everything. Just pointy enough for me without being stabbing :-D

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

tpcrna
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:06:28 AM  Show Profile Send tpcrna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Knit Picks for anything and everything. I am not a fan of Inox circulars in small sizes because I find that the join is not as smooth as several other brands. I have used small sized HiyaHiyas and have been very stisfied with them for socks in fingering weight and their price is quite reasonable.
Go to Top of Page

jrpalermo
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:29:27 AM  Show Profile Send jrpalermo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mostly use size 6-8 Denise interchangeable needles. They are smoother than wood but not as slick as metal. Of course a lot depends on the type of yarn you are using for your lace project. I use a lot of wool fingering yarn as well as some suri alpaca lace weights.
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  11:20:57 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also use Knit Picks needles for all my projects. I started collecting the tips when I realized I could get wood and acrylic tips that fit the same cables. I do love the cables. I've heard of some concerns in the past with cables coming apart but I've had mine for about 3 years without a problem. In the past I've used Addi's for lace and I didn't have troubles with those either.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  4:29:03 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tpcrna

I am not a fan of Inox circulars in small sizes because I find that the join is not as smooth as several other brands.

I'm guessing you haven't bought any recently. They changed the joins a couple of years ago and they are now quite good.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?