Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Nine Wonderful Wools
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  7:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For nearly two years I've been working on a 207-page love letter to wool. Which means that I've been asked, "Why wool?" QUITE a lot. (That and, "Aren't you done with that yet?")

Anyway, next Wednesday The Knitter's Book of Wool makes its official debut. To help answer the question, "Why wool?" and to help convey just how magical and varied this fiber can be, I chose nine yarns in particular that I think deserve your extra attention. I've reviewed them in the past, and they played a great part in my inspiration to pursue a whole book about wool. While only five of these yarns were featured in the book's patterns, they are all part of its spirit.

And what are those nine wools, you may ask? They're all here.

Once you've checked them out, come back and let me know what yarns you'd add to the list.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  9:46:38 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Lord, I am drooling all over myself!

Thanks Clara. Wool is good for the soul.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  03:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drool is good. Have I mentioned how absorbent wool is?

Clara
Go to Top of Page

edonnell
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  05:12:41 AM  Show Profile Send edonnell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had Beaverslide bookmarked for ages! Probably since your first review. I just had to cancel my trip to Rhinebeck,because of a very elderly and very sweet dog. So a tiny treat is in order. Beaverslide it is.
Thanks for the nudge.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Marie
Chatty Knitter

347 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  06:04:24 AM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was happy to see Beaverslide in your review--I think it's one of the best kept yarn secrets going. I discovered them years ago on eBay, and it was love at first squeeze. The yarns are soft, the colors soothing, and I can't figure out how they get that oh-so-subtle beautiful smell to linger on for years. I have made a few kids sweaters with the yarn, and no "it itches" complaints at all. Lovely stuff--good sleuthing, Clara. Can't wait to see the new book.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  06:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the New Mexico organic wool really RIP? I just bought two skeins a couple of weeks ago, it is so lovely!
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:11:02 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aaakkk...These yarns are all on my need-to-buy-soon list! I've been eyeing Beaverslide and Elsa Cormo yarns since first I read your very tempting reviews. I have a sweater picked out for the Beaverslide. Now to decide on which lovely color!

Angie
My Ravelry
My Pictures
Go to Top of Page

dangerb
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile Send dangerb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, have used Beaverslide frequently, having first read about it in one of Jared Flood's posts. It's a real pleasure to work with, as is the owner. I would recommend ordering the color charts; they've been very helpful. The colors are varied and beautiful, ranging from natural to subtle to vibrant.I'm glad they're finally being recognized on such a large scale!
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know how hard it is for you to pick favorites, but I'm so glad you did! I used Beaverslide for my Girasole blanket, and it was lovely. I can't wait to try some of these others (and read the new book).
Connie

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

minh

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  9:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just checked Clara's newsletter and there's a correction: the New Mexico Organic is very much alive, yipee!

One yarn that I just discovered at Halcyon Yarn and am excited about is Swans Island organic merino. It's an organic merino from Maine that is dyed with natural dyes. It is sinfully soft...
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  02:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, you are just plain wicked. Thank you, though!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  05:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, you are suck a pusher! Did you see the gorgeous blankets on the Swans Island site? Yummmm!

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  08:44:33 AM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Minh, those colors! Must. Not. Buy. More. Yarn. . . .

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  09:03:43 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yarn..schmarn. Give me that beautiful yellow and white checked winter blanket! I swear I can hearing it singing to my soul.

Angie
My Ravelry
My Pictures
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  10:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't need any more yarn! Why do I even read these reviews? ...fighting urge to click through shopping links... fighting... fighting... fi.....

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

minh

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  10:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just do what I am told ;) Clara asked for other yarns and I just thought I would share (and bring you down in the rabbit hole with me)!

Jane, you can't play the innocent! Who do you think is responsible for my Sundara stash???
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  2:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, okay Minh. Guilty as charged, and glad to be of assistance!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  2:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, everybody back off Minh!! OK Minh, now you can breathe again.

Is it too nasty of me to say that I have 8, count'em 8, skeins of Beaverslide Worsted in the color Mink Heather still in the shipping box from April?

Not to mention my copy of The Knitter's Book of Wool.....

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Marie
Chatty Knitter

347 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  06:11:13 AM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GFTC, want to feel better? I have a shelf full of Beaverslide, in various colors, going on six years--when they were first introduced, I think. I've made two children's sweaters and 25 squares from Barbara Walker's afghan book, plus hats and mittens for gifts...and still the pile sits and never seems to dwindle. I think in addition to its other virtues, it multiplies when left to sit long enough.
Go to Top of Page

minh

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  4:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heehee, I knew that the Swans Island Merino would end up being reviewed by Clara!
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  3:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See how quickly the tables can turn? Use your powers wisely, my friend!

Clara
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by