Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Tahki Lana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  5:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This week I'm moving away from the crunchier farm yarns and toward the triple-sifted cake flours of the yarn world, starting with Tahki Lana. I was surprised (in a nice way) how pleasant and lively this yarn is even though it's spent time at a fancy finishing school in Italy.

In the world of sheep's wool, Merino is among the finest fibers available. Other sheep can be bred to produce comparably soft fibers, but Merino has been widely bred to produce soft fibers on a large scale—which is why the finer mass-produced wool yarns tend to be made from Merino. The law of supply and demand dictates it.

Still, not all Merinos are alike. Some can be over-scoured to the point of feeling dry and lifeless, while others can be left in a nearly raw state rich with lanolin and bits of grass. Tahki Lana sits happily in the middle, its organic Merino fibers feeling plump and full of life, yet with nary a scent or twig.

......full review

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

hcdarmara@earthlink.net
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  10:13:40 PM  Show Profile Send hcdarmara@earthlink.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a lovely yarn. But, on the Tahki website, it's $9.85, not $8.95.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  03:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still a bargain! I have to try it, Clara. I love the natural colors.

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  05:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woops! Thanks for the correction - I originally linked to WEBS, which offers it for $8.95. Then I realized that Tahki does Shopatron and wanted to send folks there instead. But that's a mighty difference. Link changed back to WEBS...

Clara
Go to Top of Page

pressly
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  08:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit pressly's Homepage Send pressly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another great review Clara, so helpful for those of us out in the rural sticks who rely on these before making our online purchases. ~Leanne
Go to Top of Page

NAL
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  08:39:50 AM  Show Profile Send NAL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a striking yarn!

RE Maine Morning Mitts - the pattern calls for worsted weight - might I ask what needle size you used with the Lana? (Realize this is subjective!)

Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi NAL! I used an 8 and probably could've gone down to a 7, but I wanted a little squish.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

NAL
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  09:04:40 AM  Show Profile Send NAL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Clara! I just might give those mitts (and Lana) a try!

Cheers!
NAL
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  09:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this yarn at String in NYC and it is very appealing.

Did you know that Tahki had a different yarn in the early 1990's also called Lana? It was a bulky wool, very soft, very nice, in wonderful colors but was discontinued at some point. I used it to knit a toddler sweater for my son who is now 21. The pattern was from the first Debbie Bliss book and all my notes are still in the book and I still have the sweater.

I look forward to knitting with the new Lana when I finish up my stash.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

okate2@earthlink.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  09:09:11 AM  Show Profile Send okate2@earthlink.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So happy to see that the Yarn Scientist is back in the house. I learn so much from your rigorous testing and it's a service no one else really provides. The Takhi natural sounds intriguing. I was worried it was just another case of green washing. Thanks, Clara.
Go to Top of Page

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  10:31:31 AM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, that you for the review and most of all the link to download the Maine Morning Mitts. I just ordered a skein of Lara in light grey from WEBS and I am anxious to start my first pair of fingerless mitts. Let's see... that gives me just a short time before my yarn arrives to finish my wallaby.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

empressgeorge
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  5:31:20 PM  Show Profile Send empressgeorge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my vote for cleaner water. I love working with Merino, and I am always looking for great quality organics. Thanks for sharing this yarn!
Go to Top of Page

GreenLady
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2009 :  06:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit GreenLady's Homepage Send GreenLady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the review, Clara! I have a question, though: this yarn is spun in Italy, but where do the sheep live? If we're going to support clean water and such, it would be nice to know where exactly that clean water is. Alternately, if the sheep live in South America then the fleece is shipped to Italy then the yarn is shipped to the US we might be canceling out a lot of the benefits with all that transportation.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2009 :  09:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As with everything "green" these days, the issue is mostly one of compromise. I can tell you that the largest supplies of high-quality organic Merino fiber come from Australia and South America. I don't know where Tahki sourced the wool for this, but one of those two countries is the most likely place.

We would need to calculate the square footage of space that these fibers took up in a cargo ship, averaged out with all the other things being transported on that ship, to figure out its percentage of the overall carbon footprint for that ship.

Whether the pollution from transportation is better or worse, more or less damaging, than the health effects of pesticides in groundwater... that's where it really has to become a personal decision.

Clara
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.