Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Why Do You Knit??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

297 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  08:02:18 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do you knit? A previous thread made me wonder- Is it for personal gratification? For attention and appreciation from others? Is it to relax, to be creative,to earn money?
There are probably more reasons than there are knitters. Being knitters bonds us, but why we knit is probably complex and very individual.
So, why do you knit??

Nanci

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  08:14:46 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always done some kind of craft. I started cross stitching in my teens, and did it (off and on) till I took up knitting, 4 years ago. I enjoy making things for myself but I love creating things for others. With knitting, I can make sweaters and socks which appeal to the practical me. I mean, how many cross stitch pictures do I really need? I also like keeping my hands busy. Since I can't garden in the summer, I need something to do while watching TV. Besides having to count the occasional row or stitch, I can knit and still relax.

Angie
My Ravelry
My Pictures
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  08:49:01 AM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned to knit when I retired because it was something I'd always wanted to learn. At first, I couldn't see why anybody could say it was relaxing since I seemed to do a lot of cursing and throwing knitting across the room. But now that I've gotten the hang of it, I can truly say it is relaxing and I enjoy my brain slipping into neutral and zoning out. I dream, I think, I plan but I do all that while knitting in a totally stress free way.
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  10:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could be arch and say, "I knit so I do not kill people." As you know, that's sometimes more true than I should admit.
The more reflective answer is that knitting is my creative outlet, my bit of Zen that centers me because so much else in my world is out of my control. It allows me to express my love for others in a tangible way, and allows them to see part of me in a different light. Knitting is part of who I am: I knit because I am.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  10:20:51 AM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say my main love is knitting. I like to do other crafts as well, but when I pick up my needles the world goes away and I can relax. For me it is like a smell that triggers a memory. My mom taught my sister and I to knit at a young age and I have very fond memories of us all sitting around together knitting and laughing. Trips to the LYS were always fun. My mom and sister have passed away so it is especially nice to have that memory.

I mainly knit for everyone else in the family and enjoy thinking about them getting the finished piece. Grammy gets extra kisses from the little ones. What more could you ask for!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  10:27:48 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit for personal gratification and for the pure love of knitting. My mom was a knitter and I always love to watch her knit, and wondered how she could do it watching tv and not looking at what she was doing. I know the answer to that now. My knitting is also s stress releiver, I love making gifts for others.
judy
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  10:46:42 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to learn to knit as a very young child and finally learned when I was 10 years old. Personal gratification is the main reason, but I find it relaxing and creative as well. I enjoy learning new techniques, historical information, and now about yarn and sheep thanks to Clara. The other reason is because I have friends who knit and have made new ones through knitting as well.
Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  11:24:45 AM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit b/c it's relaxing and b/c it fulfills my need for a creative outlet. I also enjoy the cameraderie of knitting friends who share my love of knitting. And by constantly challenging myself to try new and more complex techniques, I hope that knitting will be my anti-alzeheimers!

~Linda
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  11:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

PAM

WIP = Hourglass Sweater (knit), Socks (knit), Victorian Christmas Rug (crochet), Knit Your Bit WWII Museum Scarf (crochet).
YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple (crochet), Socks (knit - 3 pairs), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Crochet Hook Bag (Double Crochet), Charity Squares (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit), Brown Sweater (knit), Entrelac Scarf (tunisian crochet), DROPS Crochet Cardigan (crochet)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  12:40:08 PM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't really considered why I knit. I learned to knit when I was five years old, my Mum knit, my great aunt Jessie who lived with us knit. We knit at school and our church had a youth group involved with charity knitting. Like reading, another favorite pastime, knitting is something I have done most of my life. It is a creative outlet, my daily meditation and after fifty years of knitting it still feels new.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

qwerty
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  2:04:28 PM  Show Profile Send qwerty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit because it facinates me.You take two sticks and a piece of string and it makes fabric.Ihave been knitting for 61 yrs and I'm still amazed,it's magic!

Happy knitting. Maggie
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit because it's quieter than practicing music and the kids don't grab the needles away from me. (Any given instrument, "Can I try it?" so I never get anything done.)

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  3:03:49 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I learnt to knit as a child, and in my teens started knitting sweaters for myself, which gave me a great sense of achievement.Now that I am in my 50's I still knit for personal gratification,but I also do it for relaxation and because I find it so therapeutic that I couldn't imagine life without knitting.

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  05:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, one of the reasons I picked up knitting again was to make my own sweaters. At the time, I was in an office building where our floor was FREEZING (on the other hand, people on other floors were in their short sleeves sweltering from heat). Seriously, someone brought in a thermometer and we found out our area was 55 degrees! The store-bought sweaters were just not cutting it. So, I started knitting sweaters. My first one was butt-ugly, with tons of holes because I didn't quite have the hand of yarn-overs vs. bar increases, but it served the purpose. Since then, I've branched out to knitting all sorts of things, but I still love knitting sweaters the best -- and I still have the ugly first one!

PAM

WIP = Hourglass Sweater (knit), Socks (knit), Victorian Christmas Rug (crochet), Knit Your Bit WWII Museum Scarf (crochet).
YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple (crochet), Socks (knit - 3 pairs), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Crochet Hook Bag (Double Crochet), Charity Squares (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit), Brown Sweater (knit), Entrelac Scarf (tunisian crochet), DROPS Crochet Cardigan (crochet)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

amazing grace
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  07:34:19 AM  Show Profile Send amazing grace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit to keep my hands occupied while listening to the radio (no TV in the house.) Knitting calms my soul and allows me quiet time to reflect on and process events in my life. It also allows me a creative outlet - I have always have some sort of fiber therapy in my life and knitting is the most portable for car rides, meetings, and waiting in the dr's office. I also knit shawls for the women I know who are going through a hard time to remind them of the love of Christ.

http://ramblingrace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  11:17:50 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nutmegowl, I could not have said it better. With a dash of self-gratifications thrown in.
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  2:46:22 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- I like moving my fingers and tend to get very fidgity when I can't. It is something productive to do while I wait/chat/watch/listen.

- I also relly like making things for people and knitting is great way to make unique gifts that show I really care (especially handy for new babies).

- I can design or customize patterns for myself. Often, the only way to get a sweater in a color I want is to knit it myself. And I have very long arms, so I can make sleeves that reach my wrists.

- The frugal side of me likes to find great bargains on yarn (or other knittables (strips of cloth or plastic bags, old audio- or video-tape, etc) and find ways to knit them up into practical or beautiful things.

I could go on...I didn't realize until I started to write it how much I get out of my favorite hobby!Thanks for the prompt, Nanci!

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  5:05:51 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always done some type of handwork - crochet, macrame, embroidery, hardangar, cross-stitch, sewing/quilting - I like to keep my hands busy. Knitting is my obsession of the moment, but I'd have to say my life-long love has been sewing (quilting included). Sometimes these "hobbies" are to get something I cannot afford to buy, so I make it myself. Sometimes it's for artistic outlet. I don't like to make things for money, though I sometimes sell things that I've already made. I enjoy the learning, then teaching others. I'm lucky to have a LYS close by, with a get-together every week, so I'm continually inspired to do more. I love getting things done while doing other things - for instance, I'm making a trip to Minneapolis next week, 9 hours each way, and I plan to come home with a simple shawl completed, and a few dishcloths for Christmas gifts. Much more productive than reading a book to pass the time!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  5:10:07 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just love it: the movements, the FOs, the warm feel of the wool and the needles, the yarn. The yarn. The yarn.....the yarn....the yarn.....

The smell of good wool, the flow through my fingers,

...."Let me count the ways !".....

Anna
Go to Top of Page

ellensatch@msn.com
Chatty Knitter

256 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  6:22:47 PM  Show Profile Send ellensatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit, therefore I am. Seriously I can't figure out why I wouldn't knit!
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  05:11:30 AM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can tell you why I learned how to knit. When I first got married my husband used to drag me down to the coast with him when he went fishing. Fishing is not my thing. I would constantly ask, "Can we go now?". I learned to knit to have something to do while I waited to go home.
Why do I keep knitting, now that my husband doesn't drag me, kicking and screaming, fishing with him now? Well, I have tons of yarn that I'm trying to knit up before I die. I went on a yarn-buying spree when I first got a computer 9 years ago. There's also something very satisfying when the recipients of my knitted gifts appreciate my handiwork (even if they are probably lying).
Cathy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by