Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 how to knit ruffles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

InThePink
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  3:14:32 PM  Show Profile Send InThePink a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello. I'd like to make a garter stitch scarf with ruffled ends. Is there a standard/general way to knit ruffles? I'm thinking you maybe do increases and decreases in some way to do it, but I'm not sure... I'd appreciate any help. Thank you! :)

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  5:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several ways to do this.

Cast on 3 or 4 times number of stitches you want and decrease down, on the other end increase.

Knit the scarf and then pick up stitches and increase every other row.

I would swatch to make sure the ruffle turns out the way you want it to look with the yarn you've chosen.

Have fun with your project!

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns: http://www.eweknitkits.com
Go to Top of Page

InThePink
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  10:52:02 PM  Show Profile Send InThePink a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate the response, but I don't understand... I think it may be that I didn't explain what I want to do properly. I just want to CO 20 stitches or so and knit those back and forth in garter stitch and I want those to be sort of ruffly so that the bottom edge is ruffled. Then I just want to switch to a standard garter stitch after 20 or so rows. In this way just the bottom (where you would normally put fringe maybe) will be a ruffle. Then when I get close to completion on the other end I want to switch back to however you make a ruffled edge for that end.

Thank you so much for any help! :)
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  02:24:53 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your ruffle will require far more stitches across than the body of the scarf - at least twice as many, but better 3 or 4 times more.

I would choose Linda's first option & cast on 80, knit a row or 2, k2tog across (40 st) knit a row or 2, k2tog across again (down to 20 st). Knit the body. When body is long enough, increase by kfb each stitch (40 st), knit a row or 2 (whatever you did at beginning), kfb across again (back up to 80), knit last row or 2, & BO loosely.

The number of rows knitted between the k2tog rows will have an effect on how your ruffle looks. Do just 1 for a narrow ruffle or more for a deeper ruffle.

OR, try this: CO 20 & knit for 2-4 inches. K2tog across (10 st). Knit an inch or so. Then kfb each stitch (back to 20). Can you see it? You'll have a little ruffling on each side of the narrow part. Just a 4AM idea! Might like it; might not! (I might need a nap.)

Good luck!

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  04:51:49 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite ruffle is called a bell ruffle because it looks like a row of bells along the bottom of a garment. I just used it on the sleeves of a sweater. Here are general directions to make one.

You will have a column of garter stitch between each ruffle. Decide if you are going to make this 2, 3, or 4 stitches wide. For my sleeves I used 3 stitches so I needed a multiple of 4 stitches plus 1. For the bottom of a scarf, I put 2 stitches of garter stitch on each edge. The pattern is:

Set up row: k2, YO, k1, YO, *p3, YO, k1, YO,* across ending k2

Row 2 and all even numbered rows: k2, p to last 2 stitches, k2

Row 3 and all odd numbered rows: k2, YO, k all knit stitches of previous row, YO, *p3. YO, knit all stitches from previous row, YO* k2

Repeat these 2 rows until ruffle is length desired.

I prefer to pick up the stitches along one side of a scarf when making this ruffle, but it could be worked in either direction if the increase stitch was changed from a YO to another increase. I just like the way it hangs with the YO.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  4:18:48 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fran...that sounds like a really good way to do it. I'm going to try it.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

sgupton13
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:13:28 AM  Show Profile Send sgupton13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But does anyone know how to knit ruffled edges? I would like to knit a simple scarf with all sides ruffled/lettuce edged. Any help is appreciated!!
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  12:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could pick up stitches along the sides of the scarf and increase on the first row.

Again, swatch so that you understand how often and on how many rows you want to increase to make the ruffle as ruffled as you want it.

Linda in Va

My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  1:14:19 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Short rows, lots & lots of short rows will give a ruffle along the edge. The transition between the increases at the narrow edge and the short rows at the long edges could be a problem. LJ's solution would work best for all around ruffles. To accentuate the ruffle, start with a k1p1 rib. Then increase the knit sts by kfb. Increase the purl sts by pfb. Increase in every st every 3 row keeping the knits as knits and the purls as purls. Do this at least 3 times (8knits, 8 purls per rib).
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  2:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting with the k1p1 rib suggestion. Something new for me!

Thanks

Linda in Va

My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  06:27:19 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learn the basic principle of a ruffle. You have an edge attached to a garment. This is the short edge. The outside edge is larger than the one attached to the garment. This is what makes it ruffle. More stitches at the outside edge than at the inside edge. How many more? Think of curtains. Your average drapery has twice as much width, so double your stitches and you will get a nice controlled ruffle. curtains rather than draperies will have 2 to 3 times as much width and those sheer full curtains usually held back with ties have 5 to 6 times as much width. Now, decide how full you want it to be and just increase your stitches.

Go for it.

fran

Go to Top of Page

quiltflower
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  8:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit quiltflower's Homepage Send quiltflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran,
Your directions for the bell ruffle sound neat. I am going to print it out and try it sometime.

In the meantime, I have ripped out my mistake rib scarf three times until I got the proper width. It is now probably about 15" long and I think I am on the right path. I have to finish it and get it in the mail by the beginning of next week and then start another to be finished by next Saturday. I am also working on several quilts!

Nancy in Ohio and Illinois

*Busy hands make happy hearts*
www.quiltflower.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/quiltflower
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  10:47:24 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
But does anyone know how to knit ruffled edges? I would like to knit a simple scarf with all sides ruffled/lettuce edged. Any help is appreciated!!

In order to have ruffles on both sides of the scarf you will need a center section. This could be as narrow as a single row or two and then knit on both sides of this to form the ruffles. But.......

Are you prepared to knit a row of over 2000 stitches?

Here is a pattern with just one side lettuce edged.

http://www.itsastitchup.co.uk/index.php/patterns/ruffle-lace-scarf/

If you are specific as to how wide you want the center section and how wide you want the ruffled part, I can write down the directions for you for a simple scarf.

fran

Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  08:29:35 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great info on making ruffles.

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe