Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Meschac Gaba - "The Street " Art Exhibit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  09:30:55 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Translated into wearable sculptures - and, in an accompanying video, paraded through the streets of Cotonou, where the Tresses were made - the car is both elevated and brought back down to earth. Gaba playfully redirects attention to the economy as experienced at street level, in the market place of an African city, a prototypical arena for human trade. In presenting a tank as a pink wig, Gaba neutralises its symbolic threat of military might - yet the wig's synthetic fibres, derived from petrochemicals, give an underlying sting to his critique.

http://www.michaelstevenson.com/contemporary/exhibitions/gaba/index2009.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page for pix of the sculptures, which appear to be knitted or crocheted - definitely made of yarn. Here is a close up of one:

http://www.michaelstevenson.com/contemporary/exhibitions/current/images/meschac-paul.jpg

The gallery is in Cape Town, South Africa - as a reminder that TWIAVBP, I was struck by the notation that the exhibit, which opened October 1, is a part of the Spring Art Tour.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe