Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 Start a square with finger wrap??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeepsKitty
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  1:44:17 PM  Show Profile Send PeepsKitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying to decipher a pattern from the "Crocheted Afghans" pattern book by Melody Griffiths. It is the "Sunshine & Shadow Throw", if anyone has the book and can reference it.

The throw consists of small squares that are connected. The very first part of the pattern is a mystery to me. Any help??

Here is what it says verbatum:

Center Square
Wind (color A) yarn around finger to form a ring.

1st Round
4ch, [3dc, 1ch] 3 times in ring, 2dc in ring, ss in 3rd ch.

Now I get the 1st round instruction. But the "Center Square" start is where I'm lost. What I'm reading is that I don't start with any chain stitches, instead wind the yarn around my finger???

Anyone ever done this before??

Thanks!

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  05:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you don't need to make any chain stitches to start a circle or square. simply wind the yarn around your finger, use hook to pull a loop through that circle, then begin the first round instructions with a ch-4, working the first round through the circle of yarn that was around your finger. after you've done a few rounds, you can tug on the yarn tail to tighten up the beginning circle.

here are pictures of the basic "adjustable ring" method: http://crochetme.com/Dec_Jan_0405/reads_round.html

If you have access to the book Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs by Edie Eckman (maybe at the library?), she shows a slightly different sliding loop beginning on page 10.

I personally like this beginning much better than "chain x and slip stitch in first chain to form circle" or "chain 2 and work x number of stitches in second ch from hook".
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  05:42:50 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Peeps and Knitz, this is very helpful, chayah

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  12:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do this with knitting too. Hats and shawls from the top down work really well this way. In Knitting it's called Emily Ocker's circular cast-on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

PeepsKitty
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  04:41:08 AM  Show Profile Send PeepsKitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?