Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hats, berets, and other head coverings
 need ski mask pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  5:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a (hopefully, free, but not absolutely necessary) pattern for a basic ski mask (snowboarding mask, balaclava, etc.) that can be made in several sizes for older children to adults of either sex; the kind with opening(s) for eyes and mouth. I found a few online, but nothing "exactly" like what I have in mind, which I suppose would be the kind one thinks of a burglar wearing. I don't plan to knit for burglars, though!

Daughter's family recently moved to South Dakota and she said my grandchildren are shoveling in blowing snow and would welcome more of Grandma's hand-knit items to keep them warm, especially ski masks.

Thanks for any help.

Donna

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  6:48:32 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made this one, though the little stinker lost it. Mine is here.

My pictures
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  8:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kelly, this is what I'm looking for ... thank you very much! So, I'm guessing from the pictures, how much of one's face is exposed just depends on how far up one chooses to pull the front of the neck/chin part. For a teen, would you figure I can just use one size smaller needle rather than change the numbers?

Sincerely,

Donna
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  09:59:28 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son's head (he's 13) is the same size as mine, and the ribbing is stretchy, so I just worked the pattern as written. At least I think I did. Yes, what is exposed depends on how you wear it, and you could also adjust the cast off/cast on numbers to adjust the size of the slit, if you like.

My pictures
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  1:53:05 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That reminds me... here's what not to make: http://stitchymcyarnpants.com/moks06/?p=223

Another choice for a Halloween-loving teen: bokaclava

My pictures
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  2:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kelly, thank you again for your tips! I have the first pattern printed out and ready to follow.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

gururamdas
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2010 :  11:07:49 PM  Show Profile Send gururamdas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 17yr old grandson wont wear any hat other than Jackyll & Hide Halloween Ski Mask made with 4-M-Worsted on 8 needles.
free patt, easy
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTjh.html
Susie
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  11:32:43 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ikkivan

I'm looking for a (hopefully, free, but not absolutely necessary) pattern for a basic ski mask (snowboarding mask, balaclava, etc.) that can be made in several sizes for older children to adults of either sex; the kind with opening(s) for eyes and mouth. I found a few online, but nothing "exactly" like what I have in mind, which I suppose would be the kind one thinks of a burglar wearing. I don't plan to knit for burglars, though!

I made this one for my son who rides his bike to work in Portland OR - he likes the fact that it has holes for his helmet to buckle thru:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTantifreeze.html

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  11:34:46 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ikkivan

I made this one for my son who rides his bike to work in Portland OR - he likes the fact that it has holes for his helmet to buckle thru:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTantifreeze.html

It does cover the mouth, though.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe