Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Jane Brocket's The Gentle Art of Domesticity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  7:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found myself needing a little...dreamy, inspiring, creative escape this week. And I thought perhaps others were needing it too. Jane Brocket to the rescue.

If you don't know about Jane, she lives in Britain and writes the marvelous blog Yarnstorm. Two years ago she wrote a book - gorgeous and perhaps a teensy bit overlooked in our circle because it didn't have knitting patterns - that got picked up and published in the U.S. by Stewart, Tabori & Chang under the guidance of Melanie Falick. It really is a beautiful book.

I know the whole concept of "domesticity" can be a charged one, but I appreciate how Jane focuses on the inspiring and beautiful. We don't need to know how she pays the bills or keeps her house so clean. It's not about competitive domesticity, it's about sheer inspiration.

Anyway, here's the full review. Happy dreaming!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  05:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Clara -- I love reading how Jane Brocket sees the world. I even ordered her book when it first came out in Britain. The new STC edition is really well done.

I like your term "competitive domesticity," too, because it seems that our culture promotes just that, while people like Jane Brocket simply spend their time and effort being inspired within their everyday lives. I know I could use a little more of that, myself.

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  06:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Clara, I didn't know where it would come from, but I knew that someone, something, or somewhere would give me exactly the right gift idea for my beloved sister. She has so much on her plate right now and I can't be with her until this %&*#*& ankle heals. I refuse to give the really important people in my life, dreck, just because I can't think of what will please them, so I sent her 2 lbs of really good natural pistachios and a box of Maison du Chocolat, with the promise of a "real" gift to come. So, thank you for the gift of inspiration, dear Clara.
Rosi
Go to Top of Page

Kymm
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  09:07:04 AM  Show Profile Send Kymm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane's blog is one of a small handful that I go to (often) when I just need to stop for a moment and breathe. I'm so glad to see your review of her book, Clara. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  5:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got this book last year for Christmas and I love it. Its definitely a good escape book.

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3461 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  12:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Her new book, The Gentle Art of Knitting will be released in May in the UK.

I'm hoping that this new book has patterns that convey the great sense of color she has on her blog. My only concern would be that the patterns are "too simple" technically but we'll see!

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  4:32:53 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I loved The Gentle Art of Domesticity and am hoping that Jane's latest book, The Gentle Art of Knitting will be available in New Zealand after it has been released in the UK.

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
My Blog
http://lesliea-cosycorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  12:12:44 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know the whole concept of "domesticity" can be a charged one.

How right you are, Clara, and I've never really understood why that is. I have always been domestically inclined and feel that, often times, we highly under value loving our homes and being keenly interested in making them our own individual personal sanctuary.

Anything to do with domesticity has always inspired me and this book looks like an interesting, informative, and highly visual book so I'm off to purchase it. As you said, I will keep it on my bedside table for reading, dreaming, and a general 'feel good' before sleep tome.

Knit On, Patience

Crochet Me A River

Faith, Hope, Charity & Yarn Snippets

Go to Top of Page

Mary G
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  03:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mary G's Homepage Send Mary G a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know she was coming out with a knitting book! How cool ... but I too, would worry that it is much about socks (as those seem to be the only knitting she does ... or am I wrong?). She is such a breath of fresh air with her sophisticated color-sense but retaining her sense of joy. Love her books!

Happy knittin'
Mary G.

Mary C. Gildersleeve, Design-Artist
By Hand,With Heart ... traditional hand-knits with a modern twist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe