Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 totally UNDERwhelmed by Noro
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  5:56:14 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend did me a huge favor, saved me nearly $2000 so I thought I would thank her with a knitted afghan. I've seen the Noro colors and I love the look of it so I ordered some for the thank you afghan. It arrived today and I anxiously ripped into the box and quickly knitted up a swatch. Immediatley I hated it. It's coarse and scratchy. I washed my swatch and it improved only slightly. I'm now knitting another swatch with two strands to see if I can save it for felted slippers or something. At this point, the color be damned, I don't like it.

After the fact I looked up Clara's review of it and I wish I had done so before I forked over $150 for it. I've learned my lesson.

I can return it, of course, I'm just wondering if there's any good use for this yarn.

Consuelo

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  7:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used 10 skeins of Kureyon for a Lady Eleanor entrelac stole, which turned out lovely. I swore afterwards I'd never use the yarn again, though. It will soften up with multiple washings, but while knitting with it, it was coarse, scratchy, and even had bits of twigs and things still in it. I got a splinter one day while working with it!

It is fantastic for colors, but next time I think I'd find something else.

You can't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
Blackstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  05:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never used Noro, but have read a lot about the disappointment many people suffer when working with it. not that it will help after the fact, but Poems from Universal Yarn's Wisdom line has Noro-like color changes without the trash spun into it. it is rougher in the hand than a merino but is not unpleasant to handle. I think Poems is about $7/50g through Shopatron but most LYS price it around $6. www.universalyarn.com

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:39:55 AM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't tell you how many times i have been seduced by Noro colors. Then i knit with it, only to say "never again" — then be seduced again ;-) Some Noro is worse to knit with than others, but even the slightly softer ones benefit from multiple soaks. Your post reminded me that i have a Noro Silk Garden sock yarn OTN for a shawl right now. It got put in the corner in favor of things that were more fun to knit.
Happy knitting!
claire
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  12:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the regular Silk Garden for Moebius scarves, and it works well. In fact, the colors brighten up and the yarn softens with a wash. However, I'm not a fan of Kureyon or Kureyon Sock.

The last time I taught a Moebius scarf class, a student asked about why Silk Garden looked so weird. Frankly, it looks to me like the yarn company picks up silk scraps from an Indian sari factory or someplace and spins them into the yarn. It's curious to me why so many Americans go ga-ga over it. The color changes are uneven (which doesn't work for sweaters or socks unless you want that look) and sometimes I have to extract the short pieces of silk or whatever from the main part of the yarn. Moebius scarves are much more forgiving when it comes to the color changes.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  5:04:28 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sending it back monday. I guess I'll keep the two skeins I used for my swatches but other than that, fair well, Noro! I won't be seduced again because I can't stand cheaply made yarn, regardless of price.

Everytime something like this happens, I go running home to Brown Sheep and hide there for months, even years. However, I really want this afghan to be something special for my very generous friends. In the end, I want this afghan to feel like a big hug for them. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  7:51:59 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate the twigs and stuff, too, and often wondered about the thread scraps in the Silk Garden. I have used some horrible skeins, swear it off, then am seduced by the lovely colors and do it again. I just did an entrelac scarf, and had NO trouble with sticks and twigs. The LAST scarf out of the same yarn was AWFUL! So it's hit and miss. I have not used the Poems because the colors frankly don't inspire me. Many times, with the Noro, if a color goes on too long, I break it off and remove a yard or two, or three.... I want to make a Lady Eleanor shawl, but can't bring myself to pay that much for yarn that is inconsistently made.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  09:51:45 AM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used Mini Mochi (Crystal Palace Yarns) for some socks and absolutely loved the feel and color changes. The LYS owner made an entrelac scarf with it and it was lovely. I believe there is now a bulkier version out there (don't know if that is washable).

I have used various Noro yarns and have never had the problems described, must have been lucky.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

396 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  3:22:42 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several years ago I made a sweater with Silk Garden because of the colors. I didn't like the feel of it and washed it in Eucalan. It is wearable but I have never bought Noro again and won't. One thing it does seem to good for the multi-directional scarf by Karen Baumer. You can see it on Ravelry.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  6:32:07 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carol,

How did the Mini Mochi hold up? I'm knitting socks from it now and generally like it. I have a few reservations about it's potential feltability and found a knot with a color order reversal on the first skein.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  3:53:43 PM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a relief to read that i am not the only one under-impressed with this. i just finished a scarf from Kureyon for my niece (her choice of yarn, and the colors were good) and kept finding bits of woody "stuff" in it!!! I hope it continues to soften with further washings . . . but it is not something I would buy again either.

-- Mean Mama

“Qui vit sans folie,
N’est pas si sage qu’il le croit.”
Go to Top of Page

l_dstuart@yahoo.com
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  7:22:02 PM  Show Profile Send l_dstuart@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used Kureyon for a Chris Bylsma vest and it turned out lovely. Certainly nothing I'd put next to my skin, though! I never found any twiggy bits, but it sure is scratchy.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  4:15:40 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I maintain a skeptical fondness for Noro. If you understand what you're getting and are willing to tolerate it's idiosyncrasies, then the colors make their yarns worth it. But there is a certain amount of caveat emptor when you use Noro.

I made a hat and mittens out of two skeins of Iro. Because of the color changes, I had to extend the brim of the hat far enough so that it could be turned up. If I hadn't the dominant color would have been mud. On the mittens, I had to use parts of both skeins to get decemt colors. My advice would be to buy a little extra for things like this.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

ellensatch@msn.com
Chatty Knitter

256 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  7:45:34 PM  Show Profile Send ellensatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few years ago I bought several skeins of Kureyon to make a turtleneck sweater for myself. Loved the colorway. I'd heard about the twigs & stuff and it's somewhat scratchy to work with. I figured Eucalan. So I started the dang sweater, finished the back and found that it had the most awful biasing. I frogged it and am using it to make the Don't Forget Your Mittens Scarf from Pints & Purls and will make a matching hat. I spent about $100 on this and I will not let it go to waste. I won't buy it again.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  11:30:57 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I experienced that bias thing, too. Even on the two small swatches I made, it was very obvious. I was able to block such that the bias was gone but what pain in the petootie!

I want yarns that I just love that tactile experience as I'm knitting and I can get lost in the pleasure of knitting with them. Knitting with Noro reminded me of when I used to get in trouble in Catholic boarding school and they made me kneel on chickpeas: pain and suffering all the way. I don't go for that stuff anymore!

Well, I think we've ripped this yarn plenty in this thread. Poor Noro was just trying to bring us beautiful colors but I'm afraid it's not enough.

Consuelo
"Travel if fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  10:23:25 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a turtleneck with Noro and can wear it next to my skin because of a tip I found here on KR years ago. After I knit it, I gave it a good soak in hair conditioner (I use Dove). The difference is amazing and it works because wool is really sheep hair right?
As for your two skeins,how about a pair of gloves? I made some for my sister and then soaked them and she loves them!
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  11:19:17 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point Schaeferyarnlover. Actually I've been wondering about washing and rinsing with hair products because, as you say, it's hair. I'll start another thread about this. Thanks.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  2:15:12 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anne,
I have to confess that I don't know. They were a gift for my sister. I'll have to ask her how they hold up. I too think they might felt some on the bottom of the foot, especially since I am hard on my socks and there is not much in the way of twist. I also found a small knot in one of the balls but the colorway was dark so I just kept going. I have a few more balls for another pair-it feels great while knitting. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

ellensatch@msn.com
Chatty Knitter

256 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  7:22:25 PM  Show Profile Send ellensatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will definitely try conditioner - easier to get ahold of than Eucalan!
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2009 :  5:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hated it too, scratchy and multiple knots with totally different colours knotted together.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  10:15:05 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a double-knit pattern with Silk Garden and some black alpaca. The colors are so striking against the black, and it is soooooo soft. I'm almost done with the first skein and NO sticks or twigs yet. There are, however, some threads in there....where on earth do they come from? I saw someone's link to pictures of the factory where it's made, and it looked clean, so how does all this stuff get in there? I've always pictured women sitting on blankets in the grass spinning this yarn...figured that was why all the vegie matter - every breeze would throw some into the works. Silk garden has a LOT of the threads in there, is the silk content in the thread???

Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.