Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 totally UNDERwhelmed by Noro
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jetesf
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  5:22:56 PM  Show Profile Send jetesf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad I saw this thread. I'm a new knitter (started in May) and am just starting to buy some better yarns. I love the colors of Noro yarns and put some Silk Garden on my wish list to make a scarf. It sounds like Silk Garden is one of the safer choices of Noro yarns.

Have any of you tried the Noro patterns?

Thanks!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

weavingway
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  08:29:56 AM  Show Profile Send weavingway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made the Lady Eleanor shawl with Noro silk garden, I loved working with it and it turned out beautiful. There is a picture of it at my etsy store. http://www.etsy.com/shop/thegiftoffiber
I have used other Noro yarns that were scratchy and difficult to work with but I love the silk garden and I don't think you can beat the colors. I may just have received a good lot.
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  01:51:47 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Kureyon is great to felt with. I made this Booga bag a few years ago.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Lilibet/booga-bag
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1846 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  7:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just felted some Kureyon. It felts fine, but took over an hour in these parts (Denver).

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

DogCatMom
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  6:40:34 PM  Show Profile Send DogCatMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After a hiatus of approx. 15 years, I was able to return to yarnwork in January 2008. I had given away all of my yarn in the early '90s, when carpal tunnel syndrome mandated that I choose between my hobbies and my livelihood....

One of the first yarns I looked at in the LYS when I began to get re-acquainted with yarn was a Noro. The colors looked interesting, so I picked up the skein. It felt weird immediately. I took a GOOD, close look at it.

Bits of plants, twigs, broken stems, who knows what were embedded in the yarn. For the price Noro was (is) charging, there was no way on Earth that I was taking this stuff home to work with. I almost couldn't believe that it had been processed (you know: scoured, carded, combed, spun, dyed, skeined) and that all this...um..."crud" was still there. Bleah. I left that skein in the store and haven't bought a single one. That much more for Noro cultists, I guess, but they can have it.

Since then, I've become more familiar with the various qualities of fleeces available for purchase. On a per-ounce/per-gram basis, the fleeces are by far more affordable, and even custom hand dyers are competitive with Noro's prices if you're looking for weed-free yarn.

I haven't spun enough *good* two-ply yet to get a quote, but if I can spin plant-free yarn from plant-free roving that hasn't been chemically treated, why can't Noro?

DCM

Go to Top of Page

Deborah Tomasello
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  04:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deborah Tomasello's Homepage Send Deborah Tomasello a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KnitPicks Chroma. Looks pretty worked up into a shawl, for instance, but it's h-e-double toothpicks to work with--splits...just yucky. Oh, and I am not a Noro fan either, although I love the projects others make and I keep buying the stuff!
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  07:22:26 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of years ago I made a lizard (or some other reptile) afghan out of silk garden. I LOVE the colors but the yarn had lots of imperfections and knots plus, as other have said it is itchy. I also hated the pattern -- all short rows -- to make it wavy. Several people had said it was addictive and they kept making more afghans but it is one of the few yarns and patterns that I really dislike and will never use again. I guess there is no middle ground on Noro.
Go to Top of Page

Zoomom
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  10:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Zoomom's Homepage Send Zoomom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a pair of Noro socks and love the colours, but hated the texture until after a couple of washes. It softened up. But they wore out really quickly, and this Noro I bought was supposed to be meant for socks. I was disappointed.

Hand knit socks rock.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.