Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Family / personal / health issues
 How do you know if you broke your foot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  1:21:37 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or, "How clumsy can one person be???"
I was sitting with my foot under my rear end on the bed watching PBS and knitting "Reid." It was a tricky part, and I lost track of time. I sprang up from the bed to check on something - NOT realizing my left foot was asleep. Not tingly-asleep, but completely numb and rubbery asleep. Therefore, when I stumbled on it (as its rubberiness wouldn't hold weight) I saw it bend in a most un-foot-like manner, toes under. This also involved me falling into a. a Pack-n-Play, b. a rocking chair, and c. open closet doors. I heard something "snap!" but it could have been any of the above objects, OR the seam of my Tshirt, which also got caught in your choice of the above. I lay on the floor for a few minutes recovering and feeling nauseated from the (slowly) returning feeling in my foot. If it were broken, would it be swelling up? It hurts across the top where the unnatural bending took place, both when I move it and at rest. Walking is fairly painful, too.
(OK, if I have to call my husband to come home off of patrol to take me to get this Xrayed - my alternative being hauling 3 young children by myself to the urgent care, instead of the pool as promised - it will be a looong night!)
All amateur medical advice, sympathy, and virtual daiquiris welcome. [**]

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  1:28:59 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While pregnant, I was leaving my house and stepped on the very left edge of a concrete step, which broke and had my left foot bend sharply in and up. I went flying and had the same nauseated feeling (doesn't it suck??). It also happened to be in the middle of a hurricane (well, for us in DE heavy rain and wind) and for a while I thought my DH would come home from work and find me drowned at the bottom of the stairs with a broken foot. After a few minutes, the nausea went away but boy did my foot hurt. I could see my keys a few feet away from me, it was my left foot, my car was to my right and it was an automatic....OK, I dragged myself to the keys, to the car, and drove myself to the hospital. By the time I got there, I must have been in shock and quite the sight. I hopped into the ER and got the foot X-rayed - in my shock forgetting to tell them I was pregnant - and yes, I had a hairline fracture and a sprained ankle. Into a cast for 6 weeks. I spent the rest of my pregnancy worrying that the X-rays had totally deformed my fetus and I was going to give birth to something that the Sci-Fi channel couldn't even dream up. Foot healed, child came out normal (more or less), and now it's just a good story.

Glad you're getting x-rayed and good luck. And I applaud you for being able to get to the computer to post to us!!!! Guess you know where your friends are when you are in trouble.

Polly
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  1:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've broken my feet a few times
damn it hurts
and you can't set it either
so six-eight weeks later..... with the foot elevated.....
it gets better
until it rains

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  1:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually it will swell, but not always. It will hurt A LOT! It may or may not appear deformed. There are other bones parallel, and they may support a broken one. Also, it may only be cracked. And there are severe soft tissue injuries that you could have sustained. Some could be worse than a broken bone.

You don't need to be in a huge hurry, but do go to the emergency room and get it x-rayed today.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  1:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. Get to the hospital as soon as you can without risking divorce or child-murder. If you take anything for the pain, write it down now, so when you get to the doc you can tell them (and if they're poking and prodding as they do to test these things, you might not remember)

Good luck!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Mom2aej
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  1:58:13 PM  Show Profile Send Mom2aej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoping to get out of my walking cast within the next week or two. If its broken it will HURT!. I couldn't even put it down at all. Of course mine is my right foot. Being confined for the past 9 weeks has been he##. Get it checked out.

As far as clumsiness, I can totally relate. In fact I was surprised with how accident prone I am that this was my first break.

Mom2aej

Just when you get a handle on life... It changes.
Go to Top of Page

Expat2
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  5:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Expat2's Homepage Send Expat2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your not the only one, my mum broke her foot when ahe had it tucked under her and she got up suddenly and foot had gone to sleep.And yes she still sits that way.
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  6:28:02 PM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How long do you want to guess? If it's not too painful to tolerate you can let DH finish his shift, but you really ought to skip going anywhere until it's x-rayed.

Since you won't be driving go ahead and have a real daquiri.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  6:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok - I would try to ice it if you have ice in the house (keep it elevated) I think you can wait for DH's shift to finish but maybe give him a call and let him know what is up. I wouldn't go anywhere else (pool - sorry kiddies) You could have broken it or sprained it -- you can hear a snap/pop with either (ask me how I know )

But I also have to add OWWWWWW -- you poor thing.

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  7:30:40 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OUCH! Be sure to tell us how it all comes out!

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  8:02:49 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are breaks you can walk on for a few days. I hope you've gotten it x-rayed by now.

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  06:24:06 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us know how you are doing! You must have had them xrayed by now....thinking about you Gal!

If you broke it you are more than welcome to join the Falling Apart Club. I think there about 5 of us there that have/are mending from broken wrists.

Sending you healing vibes and a dauquiris..doubles!

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

Pat in east Texas
Chatty Knitter

314 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  07:48:11 AM  Show Profile Send Pat in east Texas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go get it checked out ASAP. DH broke his foot last winter and hobbled around for 2 weeks before he had an X-ray, and sure enough, his foot was broken in 3 places. So he wore a "boot" for 6 weeks. I think he stopped the boot too soon, because his foot swalls if he's on it a lot.
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  09:29:18 AM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thought is that if you think it's broken, it probably is. I'd never broken a bone until right after my 40th birthday. I fell and right away I thought "my foots broken."

Feeling that a broken foot would be most inconvenient, I proceeded to talk myself into thinking it was not broken, probably just sprained. Several hours later, in incredible pain I went to the ER and yup, it was broken.

So I think you feel a certain type of pain and kind of know.
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  1:32:42 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally hauled my limping, sorry self to the ER this a.m. DH couldn't come home early last night (something about guarding a shooting crime scene, yada yada) so I whined, elevated, wrapped, iced, and advilled. It hurts so freaking bad - WAY out of proportion with what it looks like. Nothing showed up on Xray, so they just sent me home in an Ace wrap and instructions for a "ligament strain of the foot." No crutches, no good drugs, little sympathy. Ugh. I'm taking 1000 whatevers of Advil every 6 hours and now I have a bum foot AND a stomachache. :(
(I did figure out my knitting problem with Reid, and have both fronts finished! So, one small consolation...)
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  4:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You poor thing -- believe me a sprain/strain can hurt just as much as a break - still try to keep it elevated and ice it it will help. And if you are like me give it 3 days before the wonderful colors come up to the surface. I never bruise right away no matter what. The worst of it will be convincing everyone else it hurts as much as it does - right?

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  4:30:34 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know - either you're a whiner or you need another x-ray. I'm going with option 2, myself. To be less snarky, I think they blew you off way too quick. You should have at least gotten something for the pain.
I've found Alleve and Tylenol together work better, and would be easier on your stomach. Just watch the Tylenol.

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chellethinques

Well, I finally hauled my limping, sorry self to the ER this a.m. DH couldn't come home early last night (something about guarding a shooting crime scene, yada yada) so I whined, elevated, wrapped, iced, and advilled. It hurts so freaking bad - WAY out of proportion with what it looks like. Nothing showed up on Xray, so they just sent me home in an Ace wrap and instructions for a "ligament strain of the foot." No crutches, no good drugs, little sympathy. Ugh. I'm taking 1000 whatevers of Advil every 6 hours and now I have a bum foot AND a stomachache. :(
(I did figure out my knitting problem with Reid, and have both fronts finished! So, one small consolation...)

I came late to this party but I was going to say that they usually don't do much for a busted foot anyway other than tell you that you have one and advise you to stay off it. My son busted his foot in a most Indiana Jones way several years ago - fell off a pyramid in Mexico while taking photos on a dig - and his medical care consisted of the village guy and his stock of Ace bandages. When he came home he went to the orthopedist, who x-rayed it, marveled at the damage and said he'd only seen a break like that in a textbook (and this is at the big-time sports medicine center). He had busted several small bones in his foot. The bigtime doctor with all the fancy stuff didn't do anything but replace the Ace bandage with a pricey moon boot and check him a few weeks later to see if things were knitting back together satisfactorily. There was talk of re-breaking it and surgery if it didn't, but it turned out fine. Mexican Village Medic did as much without even an x-ray as the sports medicine center. Boy's foot healed fine. Go with the daquiris, it's as effective as the pain pills and tastes much better.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  6:56:19 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, SallyJo! I was shocked when the nurse came back in with an Ace wrap - I told her it felt like more damage than a sprain. I've had teeth drilled with no drugs, heck, I've had an 8 pound baby with no drugs, and I didn't think either were *that* bad...so if I say it hurts, IT HURTS! If I call my PA first thing Tuesday morning, she will get me right in, so I'm going to hang in there until then, and if it still feels this bad, I might have her re-do the films. Otherwise, it's daiquiris and chocolate and knitting with my foot up until then. :)
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  7:06:38 PM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend's DD recently broke four bones in her foot and they diagnosed it as a sprain. The ER people and her pediatrician all insisted that a sprain can feel as bad as a fracture. In this girl's case they x-rayed the wrong place. If you were x-rayed correctly then what they said must apply to you. If I were in your place I'd take advantage of the situation to sit and knit and do everything you can to relieve pain, especially alcohol and endorphin-releasing chocolate. Mothers don't get too many breaks, pun intended.

Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  7:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stitchmd

If I were in your place I'd take advantage of the situation to sit and knit and do everything you can to relieve pain, especially alcohol and endorphin-releasing chocolate. Mothers don't get too many breaks, pun intended.

Wow. Now I want to break my foot! I desperately need time off from being mom.
So, I'm supposed to sit on it for a few hours and then hop up quickly, stumbling on whatever I can find to stumble on (not hard in my home), right?
But I am such a baby about pain that it may not be such a good idea.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000