Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 What do you use for blocking hats?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  6:08:44 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For tams or berets, I look around the kitchen for a plate or plastic lid (think Tupperware) till I find something the right size.

Lately, though, I've made a number of baby and children's hats that are NOT tams, and would benefit from a water-dunk and blocking. I have a Tupperware 1 quart bowl that often works for the really small hats, but I really need something better. What do any of you use??

Jan

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw a baseball hat form in a thrift shop recently (in two sizes), and wonder if it's still there? See what you can find on the Internet.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  03:38:45 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is a baseball hat form?? The only thing I can think of is the plastic gadget that you snap a hat into.

I've been looking in the internet, and the only thing I've found is plastic mannegquin heads that you have to order from China. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-Female-Teen-or-baby-Boy-Girl-Mannequin-Head-for-Display-cap-hat-glasses-/170716535182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27bf7f998e
I've considered looking for balls (you know, the bouncy kind) that would be the right size. The drawback is that I'd want at least a couple sizes, and balls would not store easily, as they would not collapse or nest, and they don't sit on a shelf well, as they tend to roll off!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1436 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  04:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I only do adult heads, and I have a styrofoam display form (from a store that sells store supplies).

How about inflatable balls (and the corresponding pump)? Or, even simpler, try balloons that you blow up to the desired size!

Bye, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  11:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I grab an appropriately sized ball from the toy box. Babies lately have been on the small beach balls we gave out as favors for my daughters birthday. A large grapefruit would work well too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  12:18:53 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Balloons! Buy a bag at the drug store. Blow one up a bit, stick the hat on it, inflate or deflate until desired size is reached, and tie closed. If you want some fun, draw a face on the balloon with markers. Works for any size head, by the way. (You can see some of mine on Ravelry - same user name.)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  3:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baloons are the best idea. I had access to several cosmetology heads, with real hair, and did keep one. They are way to small. Haven't measured them, maybe they would work for baby hats.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Amen
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  07:20:40 AM  Show Profile Send Amen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like styrofoam wig forms from a beauty supply store, like Sally. You can pin into them, and one costs about $4.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Styrofoam-Head/SBS-200201,default,pd.html?cgid=Supp12
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  08:50:45 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a styrofoam head from Sally Beauty Supply, but the problem is that it is "one size", and no one for whom I've made a hat recently seems to be that size! I'm sticking with balloons.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  3:33:21 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may sound dumb, but where do I find decent balloons? I can only find small, cheaply made ones. I'm afraid they'd pop before I get a hat adjusted on one.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  03:28:00 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always used "drug store" balloons - the kind you'd buy for a birthday party - and I've never had a problem.

Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

55 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  8:01:05 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one of the cheap styrofoam heads, and it is too small for my daughter's hats. So I wrap it with a hand towel, pin that down, and then block the hat.

Janet in TN
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  5:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, use dinner plates for tams and Tupperware bowls for other hats. I have old Tupperware bowls with rounded bottoms in several sizes that work quite well. Sometimes I place them upside down over a bottle of some sort. I also have a Styrofoam head in a size I often use. AND ... I have one of those plastic yarn spheres that works well for some hats, too. Depending on the hat, some I just wash, blot in towels and pat to shape, letting them dry flat, but changing the "fold" several times through the drying process.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

867 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  10:41:04 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a glass head that I got at Pier One. Here is a link with a picture:

http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/Gifts/tabid/978/List/0/CategoryID/120/level/a/ProductID/1561/ProductName/Recycled-Glass-Head/Default.aspx

It is nice and heavy so it doesn't tip over like my styrofoam head does. I haven't made any hats lately so I use it to dry off my rain-soaked hats after being outdoors.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  1:16:10 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Balloons are all I've ever used. Party supplies have the thick walled round ones, and they work best. I want a glass head now!

Update. We found a glass head at a store near us; it's nice and big! it will be good for hats. Made in Spain, for "Art". Very nice. Hats are art.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  01:50:37 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lella, what kind of store did you find your glass head at? They had them at Pier 1 a few years back, but haven't seen them since.

I did buy a 19 1/2 inch milliner's head, which is nice for an older child's hat. I'm still looking for a good idea for baby/toddler hats. I found a styrofoam ball that is 14 inch diameter. (I was with DD2, and lamenting the fact that my tape measure was in my other purse. She looked at me and said, "It gives the diameter, and we can calculate the circumference using pi." Showoff. I let her do the math, and it was 14 inches - newborn size.) I'm going to get some dowels, and have DH attach them to a base, so I can stick the ball on the top.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?