Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Yarn storage idea
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  4:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was buying a new (uh, yet another) stackable plastic tote in which to store yarn and fiber when my husband asked me if I didn't want one of those 55-gallon drums he uses around the farm.

"I have one with a removable lid," he said.

Really!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  5:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! So tempting, isn't it? I have far too many plastic totes myself. Working on getting our office/craft room set up (only room still not unpacked since our move 7 months ago.) I need to get all of the yarn together in one spot just so I can figure out how much I really have. This house is about 1500 sq ft smaller than our old one. I fear that's just about the amount of space I need for the yarn...

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  09:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The plastic tubs work for me because I have a wall of my studio set up with racks from www.binwarehouse.com to hold them. I think that the drums are another great idea but I am in and out of the tubs so often (helped by an Excel spreadsheet and numbering the bins) that I need containers that it's easy to get things out of when needed.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1989 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  2:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Some of us could qualify for a membership in"Totes 'R Us" I have a few totes filled to the brim & bet I probably learned of them from you all.

In our garage loft, I have a series of totes, the yarns grouped by type. They are simple ones like sock yarn, mohair & lace, etc.

Shelia, I have always wanted to hear more of your Excel spreadsheet - maybe you could speak to me of it sometime?

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  06:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly, Marfa, I keep a copy on my iPad and can show it to you the next time we're together.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1989 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  04:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Look forward to it, Shelia.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  07:23:05 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep an inventory of yarn, needles, and craft books in Excel on Goggle Docs so I can access it quickly wherever I am. Three tabs, one document, easy access. Once you've built it, it's very easy to add new purchases and keep it up to date.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

277 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  1:48:53 PM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI-If you use the stash storage function on Ravelry, you can download your stash information in a form that can be easily converted to an Excel spreadsheet.

I am nominating myself as Princess of the Plastic Storage Tote. I spent winter break inventorying the stash and now need to figure out the most sensible way of organizing what I have. Suggestions welcome.

Books are next on the list.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  07:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, but setting up those spreadsheets takes too long for me. I began to record stuff when I first joined Ravelry, but soon began thinking, "Duh, I could be knitting this yarn instead of sitting here writing about it." So I stopped adding to the list. Ha, makes for some fun surprises now when I discover some yarn I forgot I had!

For me, it was sort of like all those shoeboxes full of old, inherited snapshots that I'm going to organize in albums "one of these days." It's one thing to start a record at the beginning, but entirely another (for me, anyway) to play catch-up. Sigh.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Warming Up

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  09:34:19 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I uae tubs as well to store my stash. One time I was at our small, local hardware store and a very nice man was helping me get a couple of tubs off the top shelf. His comment to me when I told him what I needed them for we: "You know, you are supposed to do something with the yarn besides stick it in a tub" I think about him when I buy yet more yarn...

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1229 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2014 :  11:02:36 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[[cracking up]]

My eyes are opening to the possibilities...

Maybe when I move I can record the yarn and fluff as I take it out of boxes.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  03:00:34 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have been inundated with plastic rotes! I also find the zippered plastic bags that blankets and quilts come in very handy. But my recent find was a wooden 3 shelf rack with plastic buckets designed for children's toy storage. It was on sale at a local home depot and it fits beautifully in the small yarn corner that ive commandeered. The buckets are at an angle and you can see everything pretty nicely!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.