Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Do you use Ravelry stash management?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2014 :  11:58:50 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently started using Rav's stash management tools for spinning fiber. A friend told me I could enter raw fiber, track remaining fiber through however many spinning projects it takes to deplete it, and then track those spinning projects as they turn into knitting projects. I liked the idea that I could assess all my fluff at one fell swoop, or know if I have enough of this or that without rummaging my entire stash closet. Getting it into Rav really helped me get that closet organized, too. Man, was there a lot in there I'd totally forgotten about. (Hate that.)

So. My yarn stash is more involved than my fiber stash, and I'm hesitant to spend the time to enter it if it isn't going to be really useful and pay off in a fun kind of way, like tracking that fiber depletion.

For those of you who use the yarn stash management, what do you think? Do you like it? Was it worth it? How do you use it? Thanks!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1994 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  03:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

The stash feature of Rav is not one I use - I have some awesome spread sheets that I use & they have worked very well. Our Shelia gave me this idea a few years back & maybe she is able to chime in about her own system.

My sheets are separated by type of yarn - sweater, sock, lace, mohair, mitten, scarves/hats, fancy & misc - & I note the name, yardage, color, needle size, gauge, where purchased (none are quite old enuf to obtain a driver's license ^ .. ^ ) & any ideas for a project for each one. And there are other columns for future notes.

These have been handy as I have them printed, make notations on them, keep them with my knitting files, etc. I like the portability of this method. I have hopes to sell some of the yarn on Rav & I will be listing those in the, I hope, near future.

Good thread, Robinsteph - I look forward to reading the responses.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  07:13:06 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Excel spreadsheets, too. I have one for yarn and a separate one for needles although I probably could combine them. I keep copies in Google Docs so I can pull them up wherever I am. I also have one of all my knitting books. The needle and book spreadsheets have saved me from purchasing duplicates.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  08:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stash management is the main feature I use on Rav. It was a lot of work getting my stash logged and loaded, but very worth it. My fave thing is the photos - I can visually browse without diving in when I'm looking for inspiration or "just the right yarn". And more than once, a trip to my own on-line yarn shop has saved me from spending at a real on-line shop. Also, during that initial load, I had to handle every skein of yarn I owned, and was able to purge by saying "do I care about this enough to take a photo and inventory?"
Final benefit - for the common good - more than once I've been able to help a knitter looking for a partial ball or one last skein to finish their project, because they saw I had the same dye lot.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  5:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I began using that early on, but realized (after spending hours at it and realizing I had not even made a dent in my supply) that I'd much rather be knitting or spinning with that time. Ha, I've never purchased a duplicate that I couldn't use.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  07:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll just add that I have used the Excel spreadsheet that Martha referred to long before there was a Ravelry, so there's no incentive for me to change to a new system, especially one that would mean taking everything out and photographing it. I also have a location column so that once I look up a yarn I want to use I can go right to the correct bin and find it (I have a very large stash of both yarn and fiber).

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2014 :  03:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mshark's Homepage Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting topic! I use the Rav stash function and totally love it. Like Luann, being able to see the photos is one of my favorite features and don't have to rely on my memory for what that mystery "green" color actually looks like, etc. The photos also job my memory on texture. Another really helpful feature, not yet mentioned, is being able to click and see that yarn in projects and get an idea of what it looks like knitted up in various ways.

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  08:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent point, Miriam! Similarly, it will tell you if you have a specified yarn for a pattern while you are browsing patterns, also a memory-jogger.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Thanks, everybody. Lots of good stuff here, and lots to think about. I'm on the fence.

I've continued to use Rav's fiber stash management by starting a new spinning project from my fiber stash and then starting a knitting project with that handspun. I also needed fiber for an experiment (I bought a drum carder I'm so excited!!)and I was able to just plunge in and immediately see what I had that would be appropriate, separate it from the herd, make the batt, deduct the fiber from rav, start the spinning project...and I gotta say, it's really cool. I never really "got it" before that it's not just stash "recording." It's "management."

Clearly the truth is I'd really like to have it in Ravelry, I just don't want to put it in Ravelry.

Does anybody have a teenager I could borrow? San Francisco minimum wage isn't bad...

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  11:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid that if I DID do that, I'd need to take two weeks off work, just to inventory it all! I haven't even been able to do all my pattern books, for the same reason. I tried to do my needles, but I'm pretty sure I'm behind on what I actually have.

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  3:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mshark's Homepage Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll just add, for those thinking about taking the plunge into Rav's stash management, that the process of entering my stash created the opportunity (i.e. forced) me to do a little reality check on each skein. Did I like it enough to take a photo and enter it? If not, I wasn't likely to ever knit with it either. Those that didn't make the cut found new homes via the KRR Stash Lounge or local donations.

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  08:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never understood Ravelry stash management, and don't have the time to work with Excel. My stash management involves placing yarn for future projects in a plastic grocery sack. I encircle the handles around a clothes pole in the closet of my yarn room, thread one handle through the other and then stick a wine cork in the remaining handle so the bag can hang on the clothing rod. I regret to say that it is a short rod with way too many projects hanging from it, but it does keep things pretty well organized. Some of my projects are in tote bags with their handles encircling the rod, too.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  01:13:47 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to use the ravelry stash management tool. For me, it's a list of yarn, like with excel, and for me, pictures are optional. Sometimes I take a picture, sometimes I use a seller picture.

-- Jeri
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
58 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  05:07:52 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Ravelry's stash facility, though I haven't got my whole stash there, as I've been collecting yarns and fibres for a very, very long time. It is a good motivation to be a bit more organised. And I have no idea how to do Excel spreadsheets...
Go to Top of Page

vismajor
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  07:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit vismajor's Homepage Send vismajor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey y'all!

I'm a big fan of Ravelry's stash management tools. Luann & Miriam captured my main reasons for using it, but because I like lists...

1. It was a bit of a bear to get entered because I already had stash when I joined Ravelry. But, like others have said, it was a good exercise in "do I care enough about this yarn to take the time to catalog in?" and then taking action to either save or donate the yarn.
2. With so much of Ravelry being relational, the advanced search really shines with all my items being logged (needles, books, patterns, magazines, yarn, spinning fiber, all of it). I can start the search from any entry scenario and receive helpful information in return: what pattern do I have that will go well with this yarn in my stash? or, what could I do with this yarn? or, do I have everything I need to make this thing I just favorited? Etc.
3. When I'm feeling twitchy about making an impulse buy of yarn or fiber but am on a tighter budget, I "shop my stash" first. With my stash being cataloged online, I can check it no matter where I am - LYS, festival, work. I've found that I can talk myself from most impulse buys if I can demonstrate to myself that I already have a very similar yarn at home in my stash. This might not be applicable to those with stronger willpower against impulse buys of pretty skeins.
4. I've been able to help out fellow makers by sending them yarn they need to finish a project. That's a good feeling.
5. Once cataloged, the stash can be exported to a flat file (like Excel) if needed. It was an interesting (and scary!) exercise to use the sum function to calculate just how many total yards of stash I had accumulated & what that distance translated to on a map. O_O

Great discussion thread! I'm enjoying everyone's responses. :)
Go to Top of Page

patriciajane
New Pal

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  07:47:34 AM  Show Profile Send patriciajane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning!
I am using Ravelry's stash and it's worked well for me. The ability to look at my stash and then to go to the database for more information works well. Like vismajor, I've shopped my stash too. I did save myself some time by omitting the photos. I like having online access too.
My husbanc and I are packing up for a move to another city. For ease of move, my yarn has been consolidated in large packing boxes (5 cubic foot), and I'll have the benefit of a dedicated craft room in my new house. I'm going to use my ravelry stash to sort and organize my yarn in new storage.
Go to Top of Page

janutah
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  07:53:44 AM  Show Profile Send janutah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also a Ravelry stash fan. When I find a pattern I love, I appreciate being able, with the click of a button, to see what others have done, using yarns in my stash.

I've also made good use of the queue feature. Sometimes I buy yarn with a pattern in mind, and later I can't remember which pattern that was. Now I queue the pattern and the yarn in my stash so I know I have plans for it, and what those plans are.

Because it doesn't delete a yarn after you've used it, you can also search your leftovers in case you need just a little of something for a stripe or a highlight.
Go to Top of Page

hkpdx
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  4:44:58 PM  Show Profile Send hkpdx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely. not even a question. It links to many other functions -- such as your queue.

Do learn how to use the function that shows when the yarn is all used up though or it can be frustrating down the line.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  6:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can still do most of the same things that stash management on Ravelry does in combination with my spreadsheet, but I have additional information such as where I acquired the yarn (or fiber, I've got a separate spreadsheet for that), how much it cost, and how it swatched up when I've gotten that far. With over 2800 skeins or cones of yarn stored in 30+ labeled and racked tubs I also really use the location indicator field that I have on the spreadsheet. I don't think that I would be able to use Rav to tell me where a batch of yarn is when I want it.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

MarileeRD
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  11:39:16 PM  Show Profile Send MarileeRD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So interesting reading everyone's stash management techniques - great thread! I like Ravelry's stash management feature. I like that I can view it no matter where I am through an app, and I like being able to link it to my projects. That said, I'm recently returned to knitting after a few inactive years and a big move that removed a big part of my stash. So I don't have lots to enter at this time. It would probably be much more problematic if I had lots of items to put in.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  07:17:12 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Shelia. I haven't taken pictures of yarn but if I did I could place the photos in the Excel sheets. Heck, I can barely remember to take pictures of finished projects but I may have to go back and do just that with the photos I do have - when I retire. I'm going to be VERY busy when I retire.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?