Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 i hate this yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sian
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  07:11:55 AM  Show Profile Send sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im never buying gypsy yarn again ewww its to loose to knit with
and it breaks very easy

:(

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2758 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  4:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Set it free. In the garbage.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2014 :  09:49:41 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just cast on 360 stitches for a lace shawl in Euroflax. That is very strange yarn to knit with, and the stitches don't look so even. Sure hope the yarn feels better after a good soak. Any suggestions as to what to do in order to have a softer and more malleable finished garment?

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2014 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kristina, it will become a completely different thing after you've washed it -- soft and drapey!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
My Website: Not Plain Jane
My Ravelry Store: Jane Cochran
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2014 :  11:38:22 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kristina, I agree with Jane, but I feel your pain in knitting with it. It actually made my hands raw when I knit with it. I wouldn't put it in the "never again" category because it does yield such a nice fabric after washing, but one does suffer in the process.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

882 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2014 :  3:19:23 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kristina, have you already wound the Euroflax into balls? If it is still in skeins, you could wash it, or at least soak it, and hang the skeins to dry. I learned this after such frustration with it.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2014 :  3:20:12 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for making me feel better about my adventure in knitting with linen.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2014 :  2:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kristina, Euroflax linen is one of my favorite yarns ... I love the magical transformation it makes when washed and blocked (for me, mostly just wash and remove from dryer while damp, than then pat into shape to finish drying). It really DOES become softer and slinkier with each washing! It does not hurt my hands and I do not wash it first. And the linen/merino blend makes lovely baby blankets.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  05:25:28 AM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HItting the big "agree" button on Donna's comment. Am about to cast on the Lady Fern scarf with 3 colors of Euroflax. I love this yarn and willingly put up with the ugly duckling stage to see the aamzing transformation when it is washed. That said, it does't hurt my hands. I'd have to think twice about it if it made me suffer in that way.

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  09:18:19 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Miriam, do you use the Magic Knot when adding a new skein of Euroflax?
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  12:23:14 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I bought a skein of Euroflax a long time ago. Time to dig it out and try it...if that's what I have. Edit: No band on it although I'm pretty sure it's Euroflax. I washed it yesterday before winding off but it didn't soften at all. Anxious to knit it and then wash and dry a couple times to see what happens. I only have a couple ounces so it will probably become a washcloth. At this point, not a bit impressed.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  11:48:49 AM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
kkknitter -- I learned Magic Knot since I last knit with Euroflax. I haven't cast on the Lady Fern yet so haven't tried it but that's my plan. Have you given it a try?

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  1:52:54 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Miriam, that is what I'm doing. I hope the knots hold.
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

882 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  10:12:31 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kristina, if you are worried about the sturdiness of the Magic Knot, leave the tails as is after making the knot. Then after washing and blocking, if the knot has held, you can trim the tails. If the knot fails (which has not yet happened to me) you have the usual ends to weave in.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  4:07:40 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Flicka, that is a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a lovely shawl for my daughter using Euroflax and had no idea when I purchased it that it would be so stiff and rough to knit with. However, I stuck (pun intended) with it and when I blocked the shawl, it did, magically, become soft and supple. That being said, it was too little, too late for me to ever use Euroflax again.

Regards, Patience

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  05:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lovely to see you here again, Patience!

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2084 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  11:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

What Shelia said, Patience!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  07:16:57 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've tried the Magic Knot several times but after knitting several rounds I noticed that the stitch at the Magic Knot was much too loose and when I tried to adjust the slack, the knot pulled apart...it didn't come undone, it opened up like it had been just before tugging on the ends to close the knot when I joined. I gave up on it the other night and went back to dropping the old, joining the new and adjusting the stitches after a couple rows.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe