Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Stain help please!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  04:55:32 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DH was bringing me a cup of coffee a couple mornings ago and managed to dump it on a bamboo/silk sweater I knit. I soaked the sweater but there is still a visible stain. Can anyone recommend a solution?

many thanks!
emmyc

emmyc
winchester ma

flicka
Seriously Hooked

878 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  11:04:06 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will just tell you what I would do: make a dilute solution of Oxi-clean and water and apply it to the damp spot with a toothbrush. Rinse, repeat. It might take a while. Good luck! (Use your husband's toothbrush.)

flicka
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  06:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would use Dawn dish detergent. Drop a bit on the stain and let it sit a while. Good luck

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  10:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all else fails over dye it. maybe even just stain the whole thing with coffee?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2013 :  07:31:17 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all! Ill let you know how it goes.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  06:42:23 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flicka, that's FunnyDonna
Go to Top of Page

grammy1124
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  03:18:10 AM  Show Profile Send grammy1124 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best stain remover I've found, especially for coffee stains, is Shout Gel which comes in a blue bottle with a brush tip. I remove the brush tip and transfer the gel into a squeeze bottle like an icing bottle with a pointy top so I can target a spot. I don't like to use the brush on delicate fabrics and I find that just the application of the gel, even after a garment has been washed and dried, will work if it is allowed to sit for a bit. I then wash it and very rarely do I have to re-apply to get the whole stain removed. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

restless knitter
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  06:31:25 AM  Show Profile Send restless knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about peroxide - monitoring carefully.

Deborah Gajee
Go to Top of Page

Pam B
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  07:34:03 AM  Show Profile Send Pam B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there. If you haven't fixed this yet, here is the ultimate solution, as long as it is safe for your fabric. I swear by the little yellow bottles of Carbona stain remover. They are enzyme based so they are specifically designed for the type of stain. This is how every grass stain was removed from white soccer uniforms, coffee, tomoato sauce on clothes, etc. I just have never used it on handknits, so if you have some similar yarn to test on a swatch I would recommend that first just to be safe, since it is an enzyme and you don't want it to eat a hole through your sweater. Even if I didn't have a swatch, if the sweater was ruined without it, I would probably try it. So get the one that's specific for coffee stains. Make a small solution and use water as hot as you can for the fabric and then let it sit. It could take hours. I used this to remove a coffee stain on a store bought sweater and it took a while but it came completely out. I think the one for coffee is a powder so I made a paste and let that sit and then made a solution and let it sit in there some more. Give it a try. And if it's not good for your handknits, it's good for everything else!!!
Go to Top of Page

chingachgook
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  09:29:02 AM  Show Profile Send chingachgook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emmy, I second the Carbona routine, with the caveat that you might need to let it soak even overnight. And if the sweater is dyed, consider making a weaker solution that will cover the sweater in a basin or bucket, and letting that soak entire. Reason being you don't want a "reverse stain", either.
Carbona isn't always easy to find (JoAnn's maybe?) but I used to use a mild (not too high pH) dish detergent soak for ancient family treasures.
We all sure empathize with the issue. Guess most of us have been there/done that, huh?
Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Betsy True
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  10:36:42 AM  Show Profile Send Betsy True a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would embrace the stain and finish the job with more coffee. After all, the variation in kettle dyed yarns give great depth and subtlety. This would probably take on that look.
Go to Top of Page

Jaknit
Seriously Hooked

639 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  11:14:04 AM  Show Profile Send Jaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would not use Carbona stain remover. The label warns to not use it on silk. Good luck with your solution.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Pam B
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  5:33:10 PM  Show Profile Send Pam B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Jaknit, guess that's why it takes a village to remove a stain!! And at least here in NJ Carbona can be easily found in the supermarket for those non-silk stains.
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  9:11:02 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did this turn out? We're you able to remove the stain? Work around it? What did you use?

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe