Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Straight or Circular?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  12:39:32 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, knitters! If at all possible, I prefer circular needles to straight. What about you?

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  1:34:25 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much circs for me:

I've purchased 14" needles in the past, but now use circs instead; fewer stitches falling off the end of the needle.

I have purchased some lovely 10" straights for smaller projects, only to find that when I come to the end of a row, I invariably drop the needle. Tired of looking under cushions and furniture. Have now gone to shorter circs for those projects, too.

Depends on the project, love having a choice.

Thanks for asking! :)

Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  1:42:41 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost e
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  1:45:53 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost exclusively a circ girl. I do use the shorter straights for smaller projects, like baby items. I still find the need for dp's also. I have tried making mittens with circs with some success, but I find it just plain easier making children-sized mittens on dp's. I do socks on 2 dp's.
judy
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  5:29:31 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, knitters! I was curious, so I thought I would ask. For smaller projects, I do use straight needles from time to time.
Greyling, you are welcome!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  8:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends. I tried Magic Loop on socks, and returned to dpns; really prefer the latter. For sweaters, yes, circs.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  03:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer circs for everything but socks and small hats. I love dpn's. I don't enjoy using two circs or using magic loop at all. There's too much dangling and rearranging going on! :)

Straight needles always get in my way there's something about the way I move my hands as I knit, and circulars are just more comfortable.

Wow, I sound picky. I suppose after all these years I am, but knitting wouldn't be a pleasure if I spent time struggling with the basic tools!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  04:38:07 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm laughing as I read these! I am a circ girl for sure! Scared to death of dpn and will do anything to avoid.I have a lovely set of 10 inch wooden straighten that I occasionally use, but if not for magic loop, there would be no socks for me!

So Jane, you are not alone!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  07:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll be the lone person who likes straights. I do use circs for sweaters because of the number of stitches crammed on atraights, but when it works I like to use straight needles. Me preference is for Brittany birch or walnut, or the needles made by Montana Mountain in exotic woods.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  1:16:07 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just re-read my reply from yesterday. I meant to say I do socks on 2 circs, not 2 dp', (although I can do them on 4 dp's.)
judy
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  06:51:26 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't used straights since I first started knitting. They look pretty in the vase I have them in, though.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  11:10:51 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For old time sake, I still knit small and flat for a few things. I like the smaller gauge straights an awful lot but lost one size 2 needle in the house one day last year. Searching did no good at all. It's from a set of "heritage" needles, and I'm still a little sad about it.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  11:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to have loads of straights and when I went out to buy my knitting chair I took needles with me. I didn't want a chair that the arms would continually be bumped by the straights. I still have that chair and the straights, like azblue, sit in a vase. I still have my dp's that are "not" metal that I use occasionally but now, when I sit down and put my feet up, my knitting is most generally on interchangeable circulars.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  1:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are these straight needles you speak of?

(I think I own 3 sets of them. Total.)

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  5:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Straight for me.... I can do both, but I do prefer straight. I guess it is because I do use the english style of knitting and I prefer to fixate my needles under my arm. And that I can do only with straights.... (well the do go bendy after some time...)

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  09:16:11 AM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Circular only for me now. I tried everything. I collected all the gorgeous hardwoods, glass with those fancy tops, various other materials, all of which now have been given away or reside in pencil holders as the beautiful art objects they are to me.

Addi circs are all I use. When I found my version of perfection, I was hooked!(Pardon the crochet pun!!)

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  1:54:46 PM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the circs, even though I am quite the needle no and have needles of all types and brands.

www.merrykarma.blogspot.com -~- I'm MerryKarma on Ravelry.
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  06:26:12 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the multi-colored wood circs from KnitPicks; have several pair!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  07:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use them all at one time or another, but definitelyl prefer circulars most of the time. I collect needles and do use them in vases and various other containers for decor, as many knitters evidently do. I have several pairs of custom-made straight wooden needles in 7-to-9-inch lengths that I prefer for knitting scarves and dishcloths. I began knitting socks on dps, but soon came to prefer MagicLoop because I am forever dropping that left dp as I knit the last stitch from it.

I use a 32" circular for hats and berets, loving that I can change from traveling loop, ML and total circular at different points in the hat as needed without having to change my needle. I do NOT use anything shorter than 24" circulars, as the ends are too short to be comfortable in my hands. I have no problem knitting tiny things such as thumbs and fingers with the ML method.

I use dps mostly now for I-cord and things like that, and I prefer casting on with a straight. Most of all, I love having all these choices!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

jaknitsea@charter.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2012 :  09:17:41 AM  Show Profile Send jaknitsea@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use circulars 90% of the time. Although I hate using circulars that are very short, I guess they are made for sleeves in the round or socks.

Janice
Southeastern WI, USA
Go to Top of Page

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

602 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2012 :  11:13:43 AM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on the project that I am working on because I like straight and double points and circs.
Claire
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.