Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 What to knit or crochet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  08:58:45 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have decided that I want to knit or crochet little gifts for Christmas this year. However, hats, gloves, scarves and other warm clothing are out as Christmas in Australia is in Summer. So far I have been making dishcloths and those crocheted tea towels that you use to dry hands. What else can I make? I might try to make some more steering wheel covers as they are useful in very hot weather. What about pretty little bags to carry a spare pad or tampons in? Would that be a yucky Christmas gift?

I knit a hug into every stitch

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  6:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why not warm things too? I have given and received Christmas gifts more suited to summer use, the other way around should work too. I think as long as the weather will merit them at some point why not?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  7:43:20 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about hair bands or ties for putting hair up? Book marks? Hot mitts or pads for serving food or resting hot plates on? Or light weight ankle socks to wear around the house? Hope you get some ideas that work for the recipients you are thinking of.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1682 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  5:10:11 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen a couple of cute bag patterns on AllFreeKnitting.com. They have patterns for all sorts of things. I get their emails. Other small things you could do are coasters, summer weight scarves/shawls.
judy
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  9:17:17 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made some little cosmetic bags with a zipper. I felted them good and tight before sewing in the zipper, then made a little tassel for the zipper pull. It's a good way to use up bits of leftover wool.

Slippers are also often worn year round. Maybe some felted clogs? Or a simple ballerina-type slipper?

Do you crochet doilies?

How about household things, like a felted bowl? Potholders? Cute things to just sit around? Toys? Cup cozies?

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  09:01:15 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm thanks, some good ideas here.

Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  8:54:15 PM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Airy lightweight scarves or shawls would be my choice- I often like a lightweight shawl for evening - even in the summer. I like the headband idea that someone else suggested - you could dress it up by adding beads;

Janet
Go to Top of Page

pawsandknit
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  03:40:47 AM  Show Profile Send pawsandknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about ornaments for the Christmas tree?
Go to Top of Page

weeza
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  05:37:08 AM  Show Profile Send weeza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done draw-string shower bags for bars of soap. The bag can be a nice scrubby (depending on the yarn choice) as well as a corral for slivers. I've done cotton (that gets limp), linen (a great scrub), and aloo (a rough plant fiber from Himalaya Yarns).
This year I'm thinking to needle-felt soap bars...stay tuned!

Weeza
Go to Top of Page

mcbeesam
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  05:46:14 AM  Show Profile Send mcbeesam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
knit picks has some cute FREE patterns for cute things like "grumpy the lump of coal" and "yeti" and snowperson family that are fun and fast and felted. (just don't over felt i did grumpy the first year i was knitting and over felted him and he's just a ball on 2 of the 4 i made. kids didn't care its sorta round so it must be a ball, boys...)
Go to Top of Page

hewysmom
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  07:32:28 AM  Show Profile Send hewysmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about cup sleeves for coffee? They go really quickly, and you can practice your cables, or just do straight knitting in the round.

I forget the name of it, but there is a yarn that is mostly chenille, with just a touch of wool in it. Enough that when you are done, and felt it, it pulls the sleeve into a really soft, tight, shimmery sleeve.

I also knit bookmarks one year, a small leave with a long, i-cord stem; pretty fun.

One thing I have been meaning to do, but haven't yet, is knitted covers for hot water bottles.

Hewy's Mom
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  08:55:54 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weeza--I am so going to try that soap thing.

Grand-Moogi--Ripple and lace leaf basket liners from Clara's Knitter's BOok of Yarn are pretty, small, and fast. I made them out of hemp this year and just loved them. They're also nice for table napkins; I did that, but had to make them bigger than called for.

Here's a link:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ripple-and-lace-leaf-linen-basket-liners

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

BJLK@aol.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  11:21:26 AM  Show Profile Send BJLK@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last year for the holiday season I made crocheted scrubbing balls out of cotton, linen, and/or hemp yarns. Each one takes only and a small amount of time to make and about 200 yards of yarn--two colors can be combined for a custom effect. When not being used, these pretty balls look really nice hanging up on the shower. Also, they last much longer than bath sponges, make expensive body wash go a lot further, and work better than the net scrubs.

Sometimes, for a special friend or special occasion, I have made a tapestry-crochet bookmark with the recipients's name or nickname in their favorite colors.

I love making original gifts.
Go to Top of Page

btabbert@iowatelecom.net
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  7:47:26 PM  Show Profile Send btabbert@iowatelecom.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Little bags to carry a cell phone in are fun, fast, and cute. Try the book "One Skein Wonders" for a pattern. I've just made ones up, too. Put in eyelets and a drawstring. (a two stitch idiot cord works well).
Go to Top of Page

btabbert@iowatelecom.net
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  7:50:04 PM  Show Profile Send btabbert@iowatelecom.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another idea: there are all kinds of patterns available for cute Christmas decorations and tree ornaments. Some of them are very simple and fast to make. Some are felted, some are not.

Great Christmas gifts.
Go to Top of Page

mpgsmom
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  2:11:35 PM  Show Profile Send mpgsmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about string (market) bags? I don't know if you would consider them 'little', but they knit up quickly, and are always useful. There are many free patterns available.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  06:52:38 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is another thread that I am going to have to print out and put in my knitting folder. I just have to wait until all the ideas seem to be in and then it gets printed so I can look it up any time.
Thankyou to all you lovely ladies who have contributed such varied and imaginative ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Pineconeknits
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  1:07:02 PM  Show Profile Send Pineconeknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last year, I knitted little Santa hats and scarfs for wine bottles....family and friends enjoyed them!

There are several free patterns online, but designing a little, red pointy hat is a cute, simple project and you can make lots of them.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  03:03:39 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmph! This knitting Christmas gifts has knobs on. I was thinking of giving my daughter in law some more crocheted tea towels and some dish cloths for Christmas. She loves the crocheted tea towels I have given her and she was very curious about the dishcloths last time she visited. Well she was visiting again and I ended up showing her. Turns out she did not fancy the two tea towels I had done but asked for one of the ones I had done for myself. Then when I offered her a dishcloth she said she thought she would prefer to stick to disposable ones.
On the one hand it was lucky I found out and did not give her a Christmas present that she would not have liked but on the other hand - I can't keep the things secret for that long!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sharon

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  06:06:02 AM  Show Profile Send Sharon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Now that fall is here, I want to knit something cozy for myself. Everything I knit is for someone else, so this time I am going to knit for me! However, I am stumped as to what that should be. I have been on Ravelry for hours and nothing excites me. It can be a shawl or sweater, but it has to be out of soft soft yarn. I would like the pattern to be not too difficult. The emphasis is on cozy! Ideas anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Sharon

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  06:08:15 AM  Show Profile Send Sharon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, I think I posted this in the wrong place and hope I did not hijack the thread
Sharon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.