Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Best yarn for afghans?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BBH
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  11:11:10 AM  Show Profile Send BBH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wanting to find a yarn (WW) that has less pilling. Or are there any yarns that don't pill? I believe this subject was discussed on this forum but I'm having trouble finding it. Will you please direct me to where I can find this discussion, or give your favorite yarns here.

I think my niece was wanting an acrylic yarn, but she may also be open for suggestions. She is wanting something that is an easy care yarn and holds up well for her daughter.

Thanking you in advance. Barbara

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  08:55:24 AM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used Encore and berroco comfort for afghans and baby blankets. Berroco comfort is very soft and completely machine wash and dry.

Happiness is an inside job.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SkeinHerder
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  3:57:03 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also a fan of Encore. I like Red Heart and the Bernat big skeins for afghans. They wear forever and are very easy to launder.
judy
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  08:25:37 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another Encore vote.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  2:38:55 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Encore for afghans and children's clothing.
The heathered colors seem nicer than what you usually get with acrylics (and there is a huge range of colors); Pilling is not bad if you knit at a reasonably tight gauge; and the yardage is great for the price.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

dmlosco@hotmail.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  7:51:15 PM  Show Profile Send dmlosco@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a grandchild on the way - July. What's your favorite baby blanket yarn - washable/dryer, and soft?
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  09:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For an afghan for general use, you may want to look at the Deborah Norville (Premier) yarns ... they are advertised as being very resistant to pilling.

For BABY blankets, I no longer use anything but 100% wool because of the burn/fire hazard with synthetics. I like KnitPicks Swish or Dream in Color Classy or Cascade 220 superwash.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  2:51:51 PM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cascade 220 superwash is great. 100% wool, so no fire danger. The sport weight is great for baby blankets.

~Linda
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  8:27:42 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, love the 220 superwash, but you will pay more than for the Encore. For a gift, it HAS to be washable, as you have no control over how they care for it. Sooner or later, it will end up in the washer, so make sure it will hold up. Both the Cascade and the Encore soften considerably with the first wash.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?