Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 What is "casting on" over bound stitches mean?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Little Bit
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  7:21:36 PM  Show Profile Send Little Bit a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello:

I am a beginner knitter and am working on an E-Reader cover for my mom and came across the following directions.

Buttonhole Row (RS): Mark center 3 sts. Working in Seed St, work 8 sts, bind off 3 sts, work to marker,
bind off 3 sts, work to last 11 sts, bind off 3 sts, work to end.

Next Row: Work in Seed St, cast on 3 sts over each group of sts bound off on previous row. Work 4 rows
even in Seed St. Knit 2 rows, purl 1 row. Bind off knitwise on WS.

Here are my questions:

1. What does cast on 3 stitches OVER each group fo sttches bound off in previous row mean? Does it mean that I just cast on new stitches when I come to that group of stitches?

2. Can I use the knitted cast on for those extra stitches?

This is a gift for my mom so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!

Jan

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  8:09:52 PM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does sound sort of misleading. I always take such directions very literally, in their simplest definition. This, I would say, means to cast on just the same number of stitches you previously cast off, leaving the gap for the button hole. The cast off stitches face the cast on with the large hole in the center, right? The new stitches are kind of 'over' the cast off ones, or at least they face each other.

I would try a backwards loop cast on for the three new stitches. I hope this helped!
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  04:14:55 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pinecone70 is correct. Another way of saying it might be to "cast on 3 sts to span the gap created by the bind off sts of the previous row". I prefer knitted cast on or cable cast on because they are more sturdy than the backloop.
Go to Top of Page

Little Bit
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  5:25:51 PM  Show Profile Send Little Bit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Pinecone70 and Socks4All!

Your explanations were very helpful and I am ready to complete this project.

Thanks again!
Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.