Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 US Airways
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

71Bear
Chatty Knitter

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  12:40:35 PM  Show Profile Send 71Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just called US Airways I need to fly for business and wanted to knit on plane. They told me in no uncertain terms NO WAY

Anyone else heard this? I thought it had been cleared

Becky

"Works to support her new hobby of knitting and old hobby of mandolin playing"

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1287 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  12:57:07 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got to the TSA website:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm
Print that out and pack it with the needles. Print a second copy and carry it in your purse or pocket.

You can take them in your carry-on. Whether you can use them on the plane is entirely up to the airline, and it can vary from flight to flight - the flight attendants have the final say and it depends on THEIR comfort level. I've never had mine taken away on a domestic flight - but then, I've never asked anybody if I could. Just took them out and started knitting.

njg

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  3:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where are you flying from/to? Going to Europe might make a difference.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  10:44:53 AM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a frequent flyer with US Airways and I never had a problem even after 9/11. I have not gone out of the country though. Where are you flying to?
Claire
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  11:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been flying and knitting on domestic flights since the week after 9/11. Doesn't matter to TSA folks whether I tell them my stuff is in the carry-on or not - I have NEVER had them even cock an eyebrow. I've never asked anyone whether it's okay to knit on a plane or not, and no one has ever challenged it - on US Air or anywhere else.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  1:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fwiw, if you are knitting socks, use bamboo needles. They look like really thin pencils in the Xray. Nobody argues with a pencil.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

martha1958
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2010 :  06:07:23 AM  Show Profile Send martha1958 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just flew on US Air and didn't have a problem using #4 metal circular needles.

I fly a lot and have never had an issue with knitting on domestic flights. I don't think I would take needls on international flights. When I do fly I always carry a self-addressed, stamped envolope just in case TSA has a problem with the needles. This way I can send them home. I also carry extra needles in my checked baggage.
Go to Top of Page

DonnaH
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  06:56:26 AM  Show Profile Send DonnaH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Within the US http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/transporting-knitting-needles-and-needlepoint
And I'm flying tomorrow. So I'll bring a copy of this with me.
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

293 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  1:50:35 PM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is not the airline but TSA that determines what is permissible to be brought onto a plane. I have never had a problem getting knitting needles through security and I have never been told that I can't knit while on the plane, during takeoff, landing or while inflight.

Hope this helps....
Go to Top of Page

Sloknitr
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  10:04:53 AM  Show Profile Send Sloknitr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI - My friend was unable to take her knitting through security in Lisbon, Portugal last week. They have a convenient machine right there that allows you to purchase a padded envelope to mail your contraband home. She is sure it is a money making scheme, but be aware if you are flying out of Lisbon.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe