Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 help to fix a mistake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the yarn addict
New Pal

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  11:47:00 AM  Show Profile Send the yarn addict a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone: I have just started knitting the Knitted Veil (pg 68) in Jane Sowerby's Victorian Lace Today. I have only done 30 rows but am now able to see that I made a mistake in row 7 that messes up rows 7 through 11. Do I have to rip it all out or can I unravel it upwards from the temporary cast on edge and then knit down from rows 11 to 1? What do you think?

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  5:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you made the same mistake all the way across, in each pattern repeat, will it be something you can live with? I couldn't if it was in every repeat, but that is just me. As for unraveling upwards . . never heard of that.

I've frogged more stitches than you are facing and in the end have been glad I did. It is a beautiful shawl that you will wear with pride. When you have an error that close to the beginning I would suggest you frog it down to about row 9. Then tink back the next 2 rows, so that you have row 6 on your needles and can fix the problem.

So sorry to be the first to tell you to "almost" start over.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

the yarn addict
New Pal

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  5:34:04 PM  Show Profile Send the yarn addict a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shalee, what do you mean "frog" it and "tink"? I am new to lace knitting, this is only my 2nd project and I'm unfamiliar with the terms. Other than the very basics my mother-in-law taught me 30 years ago I am self taught. Can you believe I don't know anyone in my rural area who knits? However, I do understand that basically you're saying "rip it out". I figured that is what I would have to do but I was hoping. You know, if I have to rip it out anyway, maybe I'll rip it out from the cast on edge and see what happens. It it doesn't work ... it's only 30 rows.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  5:51:39 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you will be happier in the long run if you rip it out, but you could try ripping up and knitting down and see what it looks like. I don't know how the sts would translate from up to down if it was a ss or rib it would be the same, but on a lace pattern I just don't know.. Now next time but in life lines every 10 rows, then if you make another mistake you only lose 10 rows.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  6:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would rip it out too. I am afraid it would bother me too much.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  7:54:57 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might also investigate the idea of putting in a lifeline occasionally so that if you have to rip back again, you won't have to go all the way. Here's a video: http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/using-a-lifeline

Hint: Just be sure that if you are using markers, you do not string the markers on the lifeline. Ask me how many times I've made that mistake!

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  8:00:23 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, "frog" is to rip it out by removing the needles and pulling on the yarn end. It is called "frog" because frogs say "rippit." "Tink" is knit spelled backwards, and it literally means exactly that: using your needles, unknit one stitch at a time. Obviously, frogging is faster than tinking, but tinking gives you greater control.

Another hint is to keep a very small but long circular on hand, and when you frog, use it to thread through the live stitches you are picking up. You can then knit straight off it, using it as your left needle and the "real" knitting needle as your right needle.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

the yarn addict
New Pal

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  12:09:02 PM  Show Profile Send the yarn addict a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much Jane for the video link. I had no idea about a "lifeline". It looks so easy and it makes soooo much sense! And thanks for the definitions for "frog" and "tink". Cute. Guess I'll go get "frogging". Have a great day everyone.

Be kinder than necessary, for each person you meet may be fighting some kind of battle.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe