Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Shall I even bother?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  04:50:57 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you ever started knitting something and immediately decided it was yuk? We wanted some tea cosies so I grabbed some wool from stash and cast on. It is ghastly acrylic stuff. Feels like knitting with a chamois. Should I even bother?

I knit a hug into every stitch

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2586 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  06:42:20 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NO, do not bother! If you don't like the yarn and the project is not "speaking to you", move on! I say there are too many wonderful patterns and yarns (in all price ranges) to waste time on something that isn't working for you.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  10:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Anderknit, it says no to you from the start, so why bother... life is too short and so on.....

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page

sherrya
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  4:54:41 PM  Show Profile Send sherrya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree - NO! Even if you manage to finish the project, you will never use this tea cosy.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  03:45:20 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also agree and just get rid of the yarn while you're at it!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  07:07:58 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NO move on to something you enjoy.

I just frogged yesterday a project I just could
not get my head around. The yarn is wonderful
so I have to find a great project for it. It is lovely not having the project nag at me.
n

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  4:24:01 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK that is all very good advice. Thankyou all. I won't even bother frogging it. It can go in the bin.

Go to Top of Page

Relliurad
New Pal

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  9:47:01 PM  Show Profile Send Relliurad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't throw out all the wool though! I like that stuff, and it's nice and fluffy. It just maybe needs bigger needles and all. But don't worry, I can make something with it. :) (I'm a good daughter!)

Daughter of the infamouse Grand-Moogi
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  8:00:22 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Too much yarn; too little time.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  1:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"... so I grabbed some WOOL from stash and cast on. It is ghastly ACRYLIC stuff ..."

Okay, what am I missing here? Was it labeled incorrectly?

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  02:28:47 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't read the label. Bought it ages ago to use as a possible trim on something.

Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  5:54:52 PM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ikkivan,
I gather in Britain and some other English speaking countries they say "wool" instead of "yarn" no matter what the fiber content. It's confusing to us Americans.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  5:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha ... now I think that does sound familiar (using "wool" for the word "yarn"). I had forgotten that; thanks for the reminder.

Sometimes I have knit with yarn that I wish had been wool!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  9:32:04 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes! thanks for pointing that out. I am conscious of the sweater/jumper thing and stocking stitch being stockinette and I am sure there are others but I had not really averted to the wool/yarn thing.
Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

geniaknitz
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  06:42:00 AM  Show Profile Send geniaknitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if the yarn is fine and the pattern is fine but you hate the color, DON'T knit it!
Ask me how I know
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  09:50:00 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the yarn and pattern are nice, and your item is already finished, how about over-dyeing it? Easy, and the choices for color are vast!

I'm glad the OP's daughter has rescued the yarn from the bin. There must be a reason that Grand-Moogie was attracted to that yarn in the first place. There's got to be an appropriate project to fit it... or maybe it just needs to be mixed with other yarns, so it's less prominent?

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  6:16:39 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also won't finish a project that I am not enjoying. I feel just a teensy weensy bit guilty when hundreds are saying on Ravelry that such and such project is a great fun knit...and I find it incredibly ugly and boring. It's even worse when you absolutely HATE the yarn also. I have one of those hidden in the corner right now waiting to be frogged. It's amazing how we all look at things so differently but wonderful at the same time that each and everyone of us is unique.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

lisastitch
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  9:21:32 PM  Show Profile Send lisastitch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely not! Life is too short to knit with yarn or a project that you don't LOVE! And we change as we go through life--yarns or patterns that we bought earlier in our lives no longer appeal to us, and we don't have to keep them or use them!
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  04:12:04 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My trouble is that I feel guilty about it. I will not throw out yarn (see I have learned to call it yarn when I mean stuff that you knit with) no matter what. I feel I must do something with it. I will not even throw out yarn that my Mum bought a few years before she died and she has been dead 34 years.

Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  03:55:13 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about knitting a toy/stuffed creature? I have a bag or acrylics for little things like that.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  8:29:33 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My daughter seems to like it. She says she will use it for something.It is a gorgeous colour.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.