Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Problems with yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

john-maggie@sbcglobal.net
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  04:13:29 AM  Show Profile Send john-maggie@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently knitting a lovely soft acrylic WASHABLE baby blanket and am running into trouble with the yarn. I have used this yarn before and never had this problem, so I'm wondering what to do.

It didn't start happening until I was well into the blanket (almost half way through). But I started running into sections of the yarn that were not spun tightly (sort of a flaw where one strand is hanging a little loosely). I've had to cut my yarn in several places and start in again. Now I'm ending up with lots of them.

Should I take the yarn back and ask for another skein or just hope that it won't happen too many times?

I am using 2 colors in wide stripes, but it only happens with one of the colors so far.

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  10:35:54 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a pain in the hiney!

What do you mean by "several"? Three, or ten? I might unwind the ball of yarn before proceeding further and see how many more of these spots there are. Maybe you've reached the end of them, maybe there are thirty more. That would make a difference in what I did.

It also depends on your temperament. If it was me, I'd be seriously peeved that the yarn was so poorly spun and probably try to exchange it or get my money back. One or two spots like the one you mention are ok, and do sometimes happen, but "several" start to tick me off.

If you do exchange it, you might want to exchange all you bought for another lot, if you can. More of the same lot may have the same problem.

Good luck,

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  10:46:48 AM  Show Profile Send john-maggie@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've found 5 so far. Two of them weren't so bad that I couldn't hide them in the knitting, and if the blanket were for myself, I wouldn't be as upset. But this is supposed to be a gift (with a time limit on when it's due to be given, I might add). And I want it to be perfect when I finish. Not all chopped up along the way. As it is, I'll have to weave in ends where I change colors...but this is extra work as well!
Go to Top of Page

New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  10:51:16 AM  Show Profile Send john-maggie@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PS: The yarn comes in skeins that pull from the middle, so the flaws are not noticeable until you have pulled out a huge amount for that particular row (the rows are becoming longer and longer with each additional YO). I think I will return the skein today and try to (UGH!!) start over.

Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  3:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would try to exchange it for a different lot #. Since it is stripes, amy color differences would not be noticeable. Good luck!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  12:33:04 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a pain. At least I see a great plus for buying yarn in skeins (hanks?) that have to be wound. You would get to see these problems. If you exchange the yarn does that mean you need to start it all over again?

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  12:54:31 AM  Show Profile Send john-maggie@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping not to have to start again. I don't have that much time! I'm going to take in the last of the skein (I took it all apart and wound up the part that didn't have a flaw and cut off the part that did. It's a really large part of the end of the one color.

I rewound the other color and it didn't seem to have any of those flaws in it, so I'll keep that.

The colors were a "no dye lot" type so I suspect that adding more of the first color will not be a problem, but I will certainly rewind it before I start using it.

What a royal pain this is becoming.
Go to Top of Page

New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  12:55:32 AM  Show Profile Send john-maggie@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help from my "knitting buds"!

I really appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  10:08:22 AM  Show Profile Send john-maggie@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I got no "static" from the yarn seller when I exchanged the "bad" skein for a new one, but the new one has some problems in it too--not so many, but I've just started the skein. However, as it turns out, I'm finding the problems are with the white yarn, not the pink, so I'm wondering what gives. I'm deciding to go ahead and write to the company and let them know that I'm dissatisfied with the yarn--not exactly witht the outcome of the KO itself. However, it is a B*TCH to unknit the row with problems and weave in all these ends when I finish, I assure you. I'll let you know what they say! And thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  7:26:03 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry you are having such problems! Sending hugs {{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}} from Baltimore!

A lot of anxiety here.....don't let it send you into orbit! Have a little wine, or hot chocolate, or nap, or anything that works for you.

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  7:33:35 PM  Show Profile Send john-maggie@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. We'll see what the yarn company says.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe