Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Ripple and Lace Leaf Basket Liner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

noliatb
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  11:56:15 AM  Show Profile Send noliatb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pattern is a little confusing to me and on top of that I made my liner bigger so I have more stitches between the markers. Even still, if you end up with 44 stitches between each marker, the instructions for round 2 of the border (ripple pattern) say:

*Work ripple stitch, kf&b, sm, kf&b, work the ripple stitch. Rep from *around 3 more times.

So does this mean I'm adding stitches in the middle of each section? My markers are between all of the increases but this seems to say to increase in the middle of a section. Or am I reading it wrong?

And can anyone tell me how to adjust the pattern if I have more stitches than 44 in each section? I'm challenged by the math with the row increases.

Thanks!!!

Nolia

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  4:12:21 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Nolia--This is a beautiful pattern. I made mine in hemp, and just love them.

I made these a while back, so my memory's not so fresh; I got confused in exactly the same place, but eventually figured it out through trial and error. You don't add any stitches in round 2. If what's going on with you is what happened to me, you probably put your round marker in at the same place I did (which still seems like the right place to me, even after making four of these), which doesn't align with the instructions when you get to the border. The solution is to start the row at a different point in the instructions.

The first "sm" is where I eventually ascertained my initial round marker was. I found that when I started there the second row came out correctly. I did the following:

*sm, kf&b, work the ripple stitch, work ripple stitch, kf&b. Rep from *around 3 more times. (I'm fairly certain this is it, anyway.)

Keep in mind when you get to rounds 6 and 10, you are going to be adding stitches.

I did also try making these a bit bigger, as I wanted dinner napkins. The math was easier when I increased to 66 or 88 stitches. Well, I call it math, but I basically just futzed around until I made it work. I don't have a formula or anything, but if you tell me how many stitches you've increased to I might be able to suggest something.

Hope this helps!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  4:13:55 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, by the way, I just noticed this is your first post. Hope you stick around! This is a good place.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  09:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nolia, your rounds begin in the center of a long edge, not at the corners. I made some comments about this pattern on Ravelry that may (or may not!) help you, but if you want to read what I wrote, it's here under comments from OkieDokieKnitter ...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ripple-and-lace-leaf-linen-basket-liners/comments

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

noliatb
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  7:08:51 PM  Show Profile Send noliatb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both so much for your input ... I really appreciate it. Will be spending some time reading your posts and trying to sort out where I am.

Thanks again!!!

Nolia
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  08:15:00 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tt was OkieDokieKnitter's notes on Ravelry that helped to get me sorted out! Good luck, Nolia.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.