Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 knitting on a road trip
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2037 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  07:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

When I travel for work (a few times a year) or play, one of my Lanea knitting bags comes w/me.

On a recent looong drive (15+ hours) for my beloved partner's Family Reunion, I took 2 WIPs & yarn for a new project: a simple shawl, a sock, yarn to start a shawl. Great progress: the shawl is ready for bind off, the toe-up sock in Spirit Trail yarn is proceeding beautifully & the newer yarn is not floating my boat.

What accompanies you on trips?

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  12:42:02 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually I just take whatever I have going that can be done without too much thinking or attention. Sometimes I start a new project to make sure it fits the bill but usually I take a sweater or a shawl. It seems like I need to pay too much attention to socks and hats. I'm impressed that you can take socks. I sure wish I could.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  2:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Martha can knit and hold a conversation like a pro—so socks are no problem. For me though, it's not so simple! I do try to have a small project along on a trip (usually in a Lanea bag!), but it has to be a simple pattern.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  04:05:44 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take what ever on my needles and sometimes I get to start something new depending what the yarn shop I visit.
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  04:59:36 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep my sock project in a LLBean lunch tote. It easily holds enough yarn for 2 pair plus oodles of miscellaneous gadgets, a bottle of water and a snack. Socks can be mindless or challenging depending on the stitch pattern. My socks go with me everywhere - short hop to the doctor/dentist, 4 week trip across the pond and everthing in between.
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually pack 2 or three wips, which include a sock and shawl. But because I think I can knit faster than reality, I usually only work on the project that has the closest deadline and the others come home the same as when I left. I think that just knowing they are there in case I need to take a break from what I am working on, or if I get stranded someplace, is a comfort to me.
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  10:20:02 AM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually pick my smallest WIP and toss it in a Lanea bag unless it is already in my Lanea bag.

If I don't have a small WIP, then I start one usually socks.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  7:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the trip and the method of travel, which in turn determine how much room I have for projects ... But invariably I spend twice as much time thinking about the knitting I will take than everything else I should pack. (Like, ummm, right now.) Often I will take something new to start on the road, but it all depends on whether swatching has been done, etc. and what materials would have to go with me to be well-provisioned. That said, I never, ever, accomplish near the amount of knitting I think I will. ;)

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  01:26:04 AM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take whatever is on the needles and lately it's been shawls. I agree with Nutmeg Owl that I too spend twice as much time figuring out what knitting to bring than clothes!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  08:44:38 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm like Nutmeg Owl; it depends on the trip. If it's a very social trip, I'll sometimes take swatches, because I'm not very good at knitting while talking. If it's a trip where I can count on quiet time, I'll bring something more complex that's already on my needles.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  11:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always pack 3 projects.. and it is true.. I rarely get to all of them.. or even get to 1 of them.. they are kinda like security blankets. I mean one might be too much brain power after a day of walking, but I might need something fiddly if it starts raining. etc etc. So 3 projects.. and usually only 1 of them gets any work done.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2037 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  07:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Thanks, everyone - I love these responses & the ideas, tho'ts, feelings about your knitting WIPs.

The thinking about our knitting really permeates what we do & when we do it. Ms. Owl & Corddrymum, yes to the tho'ts before packing - yes to Purlewe & 3 projects. At the Reunion (which was fairly small) I found myself grateful for having the shawl & sock projects as they gave me something to do & kept my hands out of the many snack food bowls. I did the shawl bind-off & hope to block it soon. (Owl, I will channel your wonderful blocking energy & will use your blocking pointers you gave me.)

Martha

Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  06:12:50 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Lanea bag always comes with me for travel! Lately ive been so busy w work that travel is the best time to get back to knitting! I also find that when I'm stressed, knitting helps me to regain my focus.

In anycase, my Lanea bag is with me on the beach right now and currently contains the Tilt shawl from wool people 5, being knit in Briar rose sea pearl. The back up project is the Einband scarf project from last years KRR goody bag.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  12:08:48 PM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like others, I start planning my knitting before I plan my packing. What I take, depends a lot on how and where i am going. Traveling knitting is different than destination knitting, so i quite often have several projects to bring along.

I do try to keep them small though - and simple.
I almost always have knitting ready to take out the door, whether for waiting, or riding in the car. So my trip knitting is an expansion of that theme.

Janet

Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2013 :  4:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always take dishcloth cotton. It's small enough to do in the car, and I don't get bored. Socks and cars put me to sleep.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

BNSknits
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  10:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit BNSknits's Homepage Send BNSknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just started back knitting after a long hiatus, and took the baby sweater I'm working on for the hour long drive to see friends the other day. Told my husband he may be doing all of the driving from now on! Imagine I'll pack several WIP when we visit family 700 miles away!

Barbara

Barbara in N TX
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1796 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  12:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I actually got a sweater in progress on my latest airplane flight, with a long circ and metal tips. But usually it's socks or fingerless gloves on bamboo dpns.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  9:03:07 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found that I would get carsick while knitting on road trips. This nearly broke my heart. Luckily I found liquid Motionease, and can now knit in the car. I love travel knitting, it makes the journey shorter and more relaxing.

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2037 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  3:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Yay, Michelle, for finding a product that will help ease the car-sick feeling! And yes to knitting as an assist to making the trip feel like it is shorter & better. I am with you on that one.

Martha

Go to Top of Page

Sloknitr
New Pal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  03:39:45 AM  Show Profile Send Sloknitr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The eternal optimist in me always brings more projects than I could possibly finish in months. There is always the "waiting room" project that is with me at all times, a complicated project (such as a shawl), socks, and then one or more new projects that will probably never even make it out of the suitcase. My theory is Robinson Crusoe-like. If I get trapped on a desert island, I will never lack for a project LOL
Go to Top of Page

era253
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  03:43:26 AM  Show Profile Send era253 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like many of you, I usually take a project that requires little attention so I can participate in observing whatever my "I'm The Driver," hubby is observing along the way. However, once while we were driving from Chicago to southwest Florida for an extended stay, I finished my project about 2/3's of the way there. I insisted that we stop at a LYS in Georgia. I quickly ran in and declared a knitting emergency. I explained the situation to the lovely shop owner, who completely understood my panic, and helped me choose some yarn and a simple pattern for a baby sweater. G-d bless other knitters. I love that you can connect with someone in a different part of the country on such a basic level.

Evie (who is now a Floridian for real)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.