Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Software
 Design Software
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccucinot
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  3:49:03 PM  Show Profile Send ccucinot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in the process of deciding which software program to purchase. The Stitch Painter or DAK (design a knit) . I will be purchasing a Silver Reed #840, etc. This will be quite an investment and I want to be sure I am making a good choice for the garment design software. I am new to stage in knitting, so any input will be most appreciated.

Carmel

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  10:05:49 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have DAK8 and have had the program since it originated. I also, at one time, had Stitch Painter and have not upgraded it or used it for a long time. Since I mostly machine knit I found that DK8 was much better for my needs. It is also adaptive for hand knitting. The new upgrade of DK8 is really great, it does all kinds of wonderful things. I'm sure that one of the technical people on this forum would be able to give you a more technical description of it. I couldn't knit without it. Feel free to ask any specific questions you have.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...I'm fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Go to Top of Page

ccucinot
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile Send ccucinot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Shirley I have viewed the demos for DAK on YouTube and they are very impressive. Seems like it will do everything and more that I could ever want.

Carmel
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  4:33:57 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carmel, I believe that you can also download a trial demo on the website and actually work with it. Here is the site:

http://www.knitcraft.com/knitcraft/products/dak/dak.php

You may have all ready tried it.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...I'm fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Go to Top of Page

ccucinot
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  06:46:07 AM  Show Profile Send ccucinot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I did not know that. I will definitely download it. Thanks so much.

Carmel
Go to Top of Page

terryknits2
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  07:30:32 AM  Show Profile Send terryknits2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used Garment Designer, which is the design program partner to Stitch Painter, for many, many years. I use mine on a Mac computer which I much prefer to a PC. GD is also available for PC. However, a few years back I did purchase DAK for use with my knitting machine as that interfaces directly much better with the machines. But I had to use it with my PC as it's not available for Mac. Well, my experience with the PC was horrible. It kept dropping the program for no reason in the middle of a knit project since the connection had to be 'live' tho whole time. Very, very frustrating. I tried dumping every program I could possible find off that PC to stop the interruptions, but in the end I have given up. So I still use Garment Designer - which, by the way, has many, many more design options than DAK - at least the version of DAK that I have. I use GD for hand knitting, machine knitting and sewing designs as you can print out directions for any or all of these options.

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  09:58:12 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never encountered these problems and I have had DAK since it's inception. If you did not contact tech support, I suggest you do that. I don't think you have given DAK a fair chance.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

Go to Top of Page

terryknits2
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  12:16:39 PM  Show Profile Send terryknits2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problems weren't with DAK, but with the darn PC. DAK worked fine. I will admit though that I haven't used it as much as GD, so I can't speak to all it's capabilities.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  2:16:05 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok....sorry, I understand now. Garment designer had more that I needed but I do have it and haven't used it in a long time.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

Go to Top of Page

lseeger7@gmail.com

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  8:13:39 PM  Show Profile Send lseeger7@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have both but haven't yet updated to DAK8. You need DAK if you want to electronically control the patterning on the Silver Reed. Let the computer tell the carriage which needles to pull for the patterning, it goes so much faster. You can get it to do fairisle(2 colors/row) multiple color jacquard, tuck stitch, slip stitch, with the lace carriage and lace module, lace patterning on the 840. For an electronic knitting machine DAK is the way to go.

That being said Garment Designer seems more versatile. Susan teaches fashion design both sewn and knit wear and the software will do both. I think in some ways GD is a bit more intuitive when it comes to pattern drafting, but I understand the latest version of DAK is much improved from 7.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe