Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Missing needle sizes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  9:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I.m knitting a vest with ribbon yarn on US15 needles. When I bind off the front bands and collar, I'll need to go up a needle size, which means US 17, when perhaps 16 would be better. Why do needle sizes go 11, 13, 15, 17 without including 12, 14, 16, and 18?

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  08:27:28 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good question, Ceil, and I wish I knew the answer. I know there's a metric needle size that's between a US 2 and 3, I'm sure there are other metric sizes that fall between US sizes. I don't know what the US sizing is based on, but I do know that sometimes when a US2 is too small and a US3 is too big, I've gotten gauge with that odd pair of metric size something's I found at the thrift store. Wonder what other gaps we could fill with metric sizing.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  7:04:38 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would check out a European source.....mainly Addi needles which have their US base in the Northwest: if you were to call them with a question, regarding the large sizes defined by millimeters, just get the measurements of the large needles and figure the sizing out?

Or maybe they have equivalent sizes and mm measurements on their website. ..... But you are right, the US sizes are as you say, and I find dealing with them quite frustrating! And don't try to figure out any Addi "equivalent US sizes", because they are frustrating, too!
Good luck,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  7:21:01 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found two charts on needle sizes, one listed US, UK and Japanese sizes, the other US, UK and Older US system. On both sites, size 15 is the largest for UK and Japan while the US list has 15, 17, 18, 19, 35 and 50 .

Size 15 is 10 mm and 17 is 12.5mm. Since size 5 is 5.5mm, you could cast over two size 5's held together. May be a little clumsy, but the size would be where you want to be.

I was surprised that US sizes are the only ones that go so large, at least according to what I could quickly find.

I'll try to post links tomorrow when I get on the computer. Can't do so easily from tablet.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?