Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Yarn grinch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  9:30:04 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel terrible because I really only knit for myself, or the Very random gift. I never knit for the holidays, and I even shun requests from people to knit them things. I love knitting, the whole process, so it's not that I don't want to do it for someone else. My problem is that I will make something for someone and they will either a) not take care of it (my dad machine washing and drying an alpaca cable knit sweater, that I specifically attached washing instructions to) or b) never wear it because it's "too nice" (several things that I have made for friends and family that have sat on shelves or in drawers until the were grown out of or just forgotten about). I just never feel like it's time or money well spent. Does this make me yarn Grinch? Should I just go ahead and make the gift and not worry about the outcome? Is it really the thought that counts, or am I justified for protecting my beloved yarn from those who will abuse or neglect it?

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2758 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  05:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tell people they have six months. If it isn't used regularly, I repo.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  05:49:51 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give smaller gifts. Most sock yarn survive the washing machine.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  07:38:24 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with you Michelle. I call it "knitting into a black hole". I have made numerous things for people that are never worn -- mostly my stepson's family. I made a beautiful afghan for them that cost a fortune a few years ago and I've only seen it once and not to mention all of the stuff I've made for the kids. I belong to an organization that raises money for women's education and we have an auction every year. I've knit things pretty much every year and they go for practically nothing, so I'm done.

My husband does wear what I make him -- of course he's threatened with painful acts if he doesn't. I told the woman that owns our LYS that if she sees a man wearing an aran sweater in the middle of summer, that would be him.

It's sad, but just enjoy knitting for yourself -- your friends and family don't know what they're missing.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2014 :  10:40:09 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Michele, you are singing to the choir. I knit for my boyfriend because he cares for gifts and shows off handknits at parties, and for an occasional baby, but most of the time I knit for ME. My mom has trashed things she's asked me for too, and it hurts, right?

You are not a yarn Grinch. Knitting is fun and so, so pleasureful, but time consuming. It's not like we can make everything we want, we have to choose. They're our skills, we get to enjoy them as we choose.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

882 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  10:38:49 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, knitters. I needed this reminder because I am terminally forgetful. (Gifted beret never worn but judging from its condition probably used as a potholder -- need reminder not to knit same person a shawl.)

flicka
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  07:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few folks in my family for whom I knit items regularly, because they have proven that they love them, appreciate the work, use them, and know how to care for them properly. There are others for whom I knit ONE gift and never again because of the negative feedback (or lack thereof) received.

On that same note, I do knit things for charity that I know will never be cared for properly or appreciated, and I have learned to use less expensive, easy-care yarns for these. But I do these items for the way they make ME feel.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  12:46:51 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so glad that I am not alone in this. I feel like a horrible person for not sharing the "wealth" but then again it is an expensive hobby (both in time and money). I did decide recently though to go through my stash and remove all of the yarn that was given to me or that I bought on impulse and will never use for myself. I have decided to use all of this yarn and create a "last minute gifts" stash. I figure I can give these to friends, co-workers, family, etc. and then I won't worry about how they are being taken care of or if they are being used at all. I figure this way I can make room in my stash and I can give handmade gifts. Totally selfish of me, but hey... :)

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  10:44:23 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a afghan for my sister, She said she saving it. It took me 6 months to finish. I know she likes it because to many people have told me she showed it to them. I have decided she will only get socks and dish towels from me. I will never understand saving things for what I always ask. Donna

PS She puts in requests for towels.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?