Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 Disappointing!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  1:15:11 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was so blissfully excited when I found out that a yarn shop was opening in my town, and only a small walk away from where I live. I was so busy that I have only just been able to go in this last weekend. I was picturing myself being able to attend classes and knitting groups and spend most of my yarn budget on a locally owned business instead of giving it over to the on-line gods. I finally got in the store and was absolutely appalled at how much they charge for their yarn. I live in a small suburb about 20 minutes outside of SF, California so I am used to paying premium prices for good and unique yarn. The new shop was more overpriced than any other I had been in within a 75-100 mile radius (yes, I even travel for the specific reason of yarn searching). I have a personal policy to never leave an LYS without making some kind of purchase, just to support the business. I was a loss of what to buy, as even their patterns are so overpriced. I am so disappointed in this new shop, and feel that it isn't going to last long due to the grossly inflated prices. And sadly, their yarns aren't even that unique or made in house. I had purchased a yarn on my honeymoon a few years back and saw the same yarn at the shop. They were asking 3 times what I had paid for it! What a huge let down.

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  11:04:56 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, you would think that in this digital age where people can compare prices easily, a new retailer would try to price competitively and distinguish itself by service and selection. I hope they get the message!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

knitty kat
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  8:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Send knitty kat a Yahoo! Message Send knitty kat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in the SF East Bay, we have some wonderful local shops within 5-20 miles from me. What area do you live in?
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  6:45:53 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kat,

I live in Pinole. I have several other shops that I frequent in nearby towns, I was just so excited that one opened up in my town. It was such a let down...

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  7:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other disappointment I find is when the yarns aren't expensive enough! Well, it isn't the price as much as it is the fiber content or a yarn's fanciness. One shop I recently visited is getting rid of all its natural fiber yarns to favor acrylics because that's what the market will bear (small town in he middle of nowhere. I feel bad for the owner because I'd like to pump the economy a bit, but the yarn just isn't what I would ever use!).

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

ljknits
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2014 :  1:27:53 PM  Show Profile Send ljknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ljknits

Pity to hear I too, like to patronize local shops, though, all the decent ones have practically disappeared. It's odd to hear that this shop is so overpriced. I know some people don't know much about yarn and quality when they balk at the price but, that hardly seems the case with you. A good shop should always carry a range. And there are so many reasonably priced , quality yarns on the market that there seems little need to have to compromise on their selection.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe