Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Greetings from PEI, Canada
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cainchar
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  09:50:28 AM  Show Profile Send cainchar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoping I've got this on the right spot! Techno-dinosaur- the learning curve is steep.

I will admit straight away that I think a great deal more about knitting than I actually produce. I have a huge stash, and equally huge store of patterns (on computer and hard copies.) Yet, I seem to spend more time on this computer, than with needles in hand. Must learn to manage that better.

My "Nana" taught me to knit when I was roughly 6, then, I rejoined knitting at a craft club when I was in grade 7. After a hiatus of some 40 years, I rejoined the knitting world 2 winters ago and have been leading a knitting group at my elementary school ever since.

I'm always so excited to see what others do, learn from them and get new ideas! Looking forward to seeing what this forum has to offer. Thanks for having me!

BTW- my fondest dream (and equally strong knitting block,) is to learn to knit socks, two at a time, toe up. Any tips will be gladly accepted!

knitting nut

Rwats2
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  6:06:42 PM  Show Profile Send Rwats2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, and welcome the KR Board. Please pull a comfy chair, pattern and needles of choice, sit back relax and just enjoy yourself. My name is Rebecca, and I am from the great state of Louisiana . One of these days I want to visit PEI, and be able to meet Miss Anne Shirley, and Mr. Gilbert Blythe. Maybe take to them a knitted wedding or anniversary present for their home
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2075 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2014 :  04:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Welcome to the Forum! Lovely to hear of you & your knitting history & your fondest dream. Let me start with your 2 socks at a time dream - there are many options. Melissa Morgan Oakes has a couple of books on your dream topic - 1 is from the toe up & the other is cuff down. She may still be giving classes in different cities so do a search for her. KNITTY.com has info & there are tutorial videos on youtube.

As to spending time thinking about knitting, me too! It is terrific to do & I wholeheartedly support you to think about it, to consider what you could knit & what yarn to use, what pattern would be the best, etc.

Look forward to your posts here.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2014 :  5:15:19 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there, Cainchar, welcome. I second Marfa, it's lovely to hear of your fondest dream, particularly because I share it. I took a class on it from Antje Gillingham, who's written a book on it called Knitting more circles around socks : two at a time, toe up or cuff down.

The class was a few years ago, but I've finally found the yarn I want, checked the book out of the library, and will be starting sometime in the next few months, I hope. If I come up with anything particularly helpful, I'll pipe up. All I remember from the class at this point is: you need two balls of yarn!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

mjhealy
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  3:19:38 PM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Cainchar, welcome to KR. Another option to learn sock knitting is through [Craftsy][/http://www.craftsy.com/class/Knit-Original-Toe-Up-Socks/48]. Video classes and there is one on sock knitting on toe up. Our dear Clara has a lovely class on choosing the right yarn.

You live on a beautiful island. I visited last summer.

Martha
Go to Top of Page

Trisha P
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile Send Trisha P a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello. My name is Trisha and I am not brilliant at posting so I hope I have hit the right buttons.
I love both knitting and crochet and have been doing both for many years. I am going to be a grandmother this August so I have been knitting furiously, looking for new patterns and guides etc. - this is how I found you all.
I am thinking of retiring soon and want to learn to knit Shetland Lace!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  10:43:08 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Trisha--congratulations on the upcoming grandchild. Definitely a motivator for knitting, those babies! I've yet to knit Shetland lace, but it is beautiful, and Shetland yarn is wonderful. It's a super ambition. (:

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.