Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Slip stitch chain edge in stockinette
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JenG
Chatty Knitter

Canada
262 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  6:09:23 PM  Show Profile Send JenG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! I'm knitting a sweater with a hoodie in stockinette. The pattern says to slip the first stitch of every row for the hood for a nice edge. I've been looking online for some help, but haven't found a definitive answer. Since I'm doing a stockinette pattern would you slip the first stitch purl wise or knit wise (or both, depending on what row you're on), and does it matter if the yarn is in the front or back when you do it? If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful!

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  8:29:31 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The nicest edge (to me) is obtained if you slip the stitch purl wise with the yarn in front....then go on with whatever the pattern is.

It does make a big difference in the edge to do it this way.....if you slip knit wise, you end up with a purl knot on the edge.

Best of all, though, swatch the edge work for a little bit, to see the product....that will help!

Good luck! Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

JenG
Chatty Knitter

Canada
262 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  2:41:08 PM  Show Profile Send JenG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, eldergirl! So you would slip the first stitch on each row purl-wise. Does it matter if you knit or purl the last stitch in the row?

I did some more online research and thought the English method was very pretty, so may try that and see what happens. http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-knit-the-english-slip-stitch-selvedge-edge/

Thank you again!
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  9:47:07 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The English method looks good: try it on a swatch and see!

ANna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  07:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm knitting a vest now and need this kind of edge because the yarn is so bulky that I won't be knitting plackets. Although this is my own design, I'm purling the stitch next to each edge stitch to prevent curling, and it's working.

The one thing I would NOT use the chain-edge stitch for is when I'm working plackets. This reduces the number of edge stitches and may throw off pu&k numbers. I'd rather have the "knots" on both edges to help show the actual number of rows that are there. Fwiw!

Best with your project,

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  08:56:26 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I learned to slip stitches, I was told to always slip a stitch purlwise, unless specifically instructed in the pattern to slip it knitwise, for example, with a ssk.

This was true for knit stitches and purl stitches: always slip them purlwise. Then, for stockinette, knit or purl them when you come back to them, depending upon what you're doing with the rest of the stitches in that row.

If you're knitting a row, I'm fairly certain the yarn should be in back, so you can just knit after you slip. And in front, if you're slipping a purl stitch.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3995 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  04:07:41 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting the English method video!

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  9:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried this edge ADHD it looks great. Now I am I danger of frogging because the yarn color isn't working out!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe