Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Your holiday to-do list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2075 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  04:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

One of my g'mothers, when I was a kid, had a perfume, Christmas In July, whose name puzzled me. Now, not so much.

Lately I am mulling over craft bazaar items to make as well as gifts for pals & family members that I hope to make - headbands, ornaments for the tree & bookmarks among them.

Are you working on holiday gifts? Do tell! Are you a "now" or a "not now" knitter when it comes to making gifts?

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com

mjhealy
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  3:32:31 PM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Martha (the original...),

No Christmas knitting for me, but am working on wooly warm sweaters and hats. Love handknit ornaments. Are you making balls or little sweaters?

Martha H.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  03:54:56 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was lucky and was able to get some of Clara's yarn and made a little girl and hat with a matching cowl. I have had a request for dish cloths and socks. How many dish cloths would make a good gift. Donna
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  05:19:24 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a little bundle of 4 dishcloths would be cool.

My sister in law gives my boys(15 and 12) the coolest handknit ornaments each year, dated with their initials. Last year she knitted halo grenades.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  12:36:59 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EmmyC, what's a halo grenade?! My knitter's imagination is piqued!

I'm not much of a Christmas knitter, it stresses me out too much. Although I do like the bundle-of-dishcloths idea. A lot.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  5:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I make potential Christmas gifts off and on all year as "breaks" from other knitting projects. I'm working on a baby shawl for my first great-grandbaby and must get away from it every so often (thank goodness I'm nearly finished) ... so to give my hands a vacation by using bigger needles and yarn, I have made several hats and a scarf to put in the gift stash. Recipients always appear, and if not family or friends, then charity donations.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2075 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  06:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Donna, I like the tho't of a knitted gift stash - d'oh, why haven't I tho't of that before? Thanks for sharing it.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  07:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Martha, sometimes ... especially in the middle of a major, time-consuming project ... I just get the urge to knit something else, know what I mean? Especially if it is a "quick" knit and I need to see results NOW. I don't always have a particular person in mind when I make it, but someone always comes to mind later on. And I also do dishcloth/kitchen towel sets; someone always wants those and they're handy for shower gifts.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  05:00:06 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Robinsteph!

the grenade is from the video game Halo. She just knitted up a ball and decorated. We also have a couple really cool little monsters with eyes hanging out..

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  10:32:14 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Emmy! Gad, I must be dating myself--I've never heard of that video game! I don't have kids, so I can get into a black hole where kid stuff is concerned. I kind of like the idea of something exploding halos all over everything instead of shrapnel. Monsters with eyes hanging out sound GREAT! My nieces and nephews we be all over something like that.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4004 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  04:03:12 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm finally knitting the stockings for my SIL and the two grand babies born last year.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  5:43:50 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am on my 6th pair of socks, have 3 lace shawlettes and 2 scarves completed for Christmas plus about 24 hats for charity.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1846 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  8:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have GOT to be kidding......

Here I am, slinging around a bunch of audio files to go with a book I wrote, alongside overhauling my web site, and YIKES, we are thinking Christmas! I'm glad I'm a fast knitter. Just finishing up a pair of legwarmers because two other projects hit snags. Not sure I will need to be concerned about gifts this year. We are thinking about going to the UK.

Too much for my poor brain to handle right now......

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  06:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Emmy, I too love the idea of a halo grenade! Your SIL is awesome.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  01:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm slowly working on a poncho for a Christmas gift. I forgot how I hate making ponchos! I have two circular sock machines sitting idle, because of health problems, so all I am doing is hand knitting and watching TV so far this year. Most of my knitting gets gifted, so I have quite a varied stash to work with.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1846 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  12:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK I'm back on this. MY DH's daughter wants a Central Park Hoodie (after she saw mine), but I have no measurements. She may wind up with a pair of legwarmers like the ones I mentioned in my previous post here.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

vismajor
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2014 :  05:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit vismajor's Homepage Send vismajor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each year, I like the idea of being a holiday gift maker. And each year, I vow to start early so there's little to no stress over it.

And each year, my good intentions go right out the window as I vow to get it together the next year. :)

Amy McC.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4004 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2014 :  6:35:53 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amy, I can relate

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  05:47:32 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on an afghan for my baby granddaughter. It's hard to muster enthusiasm when the outside temps are in the 90's, but I'm determined to finish it on time.

Go to Top of Page

vismajor
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2014 :  11:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit vismajor's Homepage Send vismajor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lynne, I hope you get a break soon from the heat - a lap full of blanket in the summertime is tough, and I admire your dedication. :)

Amy McC.
Go to Top of Page

tangneyc
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2014 :  05:11:21 AM  Show Profile Send tangneyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I am just picking up some knitting again. Haven't touched anything since May!

Totally lost the knitting mojo during the warm weather, and now, panicking because I will never finish all the gifts. Looks like it's Gift Certificates for all!

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.