Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Using Kool-Aid
 My red is too pink
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1803 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  4:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am using cake dye.

I started with yarn that was really pink, which once overdyed with red looked more red than what it was.

But now that I'm knitting it alongside a rusty red in a vest, the two colors don't go together at all. The "red" yarn is showing its pink!

I thought about over dyeing it with black, but black cake dye has already shown itself to break down into the blue and red it's made of. (Funky purple!)

If I were to overdye this red/pink yarn yet again to attempt a rusty orange, what colors would I need besides yellow? I'm told that the composite colors within brown cake dye, like black, will break apart in the bath, too, fwiw.

My vest is halfway done, and I'd like to complete it, but if the colors are that non-harmonious, I guess I'll frog and a move on to another project. (Iwas hoping against hope that there was enough rusty red yarn for the entire project.) Hope someone has a educated guess (all I can hope for, given such an inexact science!).

I bought the yarn many years ago from a weaving shop that soon after went out of business, so I cannot get away more.

Thsnks!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  05:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Cake dye is such an interesting choice. Have you used it a lot? Might some dyes made for yarn allow you to achieve the color you desire?

Were hoping for a dark rust red as you overdyed the pink?

It sounds frustrating to be 1/2 done & to be unhappy with how it is going.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  06:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Primary dye colors fall into 2 groups, warm or cool. If you are over dyeing a pink yarn (cool) with a red you will never be able to make it into a warm red, which is what a rust red is. Certainly not with Food dye, which is probably a mixture of warm and cool reds as that is how a scarlet is made with dyes.

Over dying will change a color, but it's not possible to totally eliminate the underlying tonality. You could over dye to get a totally different color that would go with the rusty red, but unless you begin using a real dye with a full color palette your color choices are a bit limited.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by