Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 "How does knitting WORK?"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1803 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  4:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last week in Sunday School, I showed the children how to dye yarn. This morning on the way to church, one of them asked his mother how knitting worked, because he didn't understand it. And she didn't, either.

The mother shared this story with me after church, and as I had my current sweater along, I invited her to sit alongside me for a demo. My short explanation of knitting was pulling loops through other loops, and then she got to see how they came together. As my husband was also wearing a vest I'd knitted for him, this mother suddenly understood what ribbing was, based on whether the right needle went into the front or back of the stitch. She got really excited!

Her son was elsewhere in the church when this demo took place, but I am wondering about showing him (and any of his friends!) how to knit on one of those small spools so they can see the interlacement happen. I'm pretty sure his parents can well afford the nominal expense for such a tool. Then we can move to needles if they really want to get into it.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

weeza
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  06:03:56 AM  Show Profile Send weeza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not? Spool knitting is a dandy intro to the stitch construction but #7 wooden needles and worsted weight wool are my go-to with children as young as five. Check out the Waldorf literature online; knitting is a basic skill (even before reading) in this educational philosophy.
And, as I'm fond of saying, "What's the worst thing that can happen?"

Weeza
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  09:01:53 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think it's really cool that the kid and mom are interested. Seems healthy to me, for a kid to be interested in the mechanics of something, rather than what lights are flashing where on an electronic thingee. I don't have kids or much knowledge here, but it seems like knitting's got to be healthy for the brain, especially a growing one.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.