Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Plying question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1856 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  4:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to apply to strands of a manufactured singles yarn together.

Should I put a little more twist in each yarn before playing both together?

Thank you!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  4:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil, I think the amount of twist needed in each single will depend on what you want in your finished, 2-ply yarn. You may want to test some small amounts before plying the final yarn.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1856 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2014 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I learned a lot about this since I last posted. I put in a little bit of twist to give both plies some untwisting power that will help them ply around each other. The yarn was really flying onto the spool! That seems to be giving me the thickness I need.

The other problem I experienced is that, for as large as the orifice is (Louet S51), the plied yarn doesn't go through it easily. It looks like I need a second person to stop the flywheel occasionally so that the plied yarn will wind onto the spool. That is, unless I can get a second flywheel having an even larger orifice? That may not be possible, as my wheel is over 20 years old. I guess it's time for an Internet search!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1856 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2014 :  7:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I know yet more now!

First I can't underestimate the value of creating yarn samples. I've made all kinds of samples and then put them through the twist test to see if they are roughly the same thickness after performing Navajo plying (which I'm now quite good at!).

I narrowed the experimenting down to a 3-ply Navajo with a bulky yarn, and then two versions of six ply Navajo: plying two strands of the same yarn as one, and then very loosely plying the two strands before doing Navajo ply. These samples were soaked to set twist and are drying now, so I will see in the morning what the twist test says.

Along the way, my imagination took over, I discovered that a large ball of nondescript, thin cotton yarn I've had here for years makes a fabulous rug warp in Navajo ply, very strong and non-stretchy, and the same thickness as some rug warp I have here. (I have to get back to weaving!) Then i wondered what would happen by Navajo plying two different colors of perle cotton. The result is an even mix of color--until I separated the colors and alternated them. I did up quite a lot of this in the hope that there is enough to knit a shopping bag! (If there isn't, i can ply more.) Then I tried the same with three separate colors. The trick is that, as more plies enter the mix, the wheel needs to turn more slowly. Mostly I stop the wheel, pull out a lengthy loop and then let the yarn play on its own. Too much twist, and a thick yarn kinks enough that it won't pass through the orifice.

Anyway, more ideas are coming now with Navajo plying creating much thicker yarns for some knitted projects I've been thinking about. However, I will stay on task and finish this vest, now that I know what to do to create yarn of the same thickness in the color I want. My LYS carries the full line of the yarn type I intend to use, so there's a big palette to choose from.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  3:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, you are using a wheel. I spin only on spindles, so don't have to consider an orifice size. I'm sure your finished yarn will be very special and beautiful!

What singles are you using? That "big palette to choose from" caught my eye.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1856 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  8:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Brown Sheep LP Bulky. AND I just ordered a Louet Art Yarn flyer and bulky bobbin for my wheel. This whole process is about to get a lot happier! One end of the bobbin has the turn ratios built into it, so the ratios will be slower, a a plus when plying bulky or oer than two plies, and the orifice is about twice the size of what I have now.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe