Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The Chinese Waitress Cast-On
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  3:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a design for a [insert mystery item here] and none of my usual go-to cast-ons were sturdy enough. I used the i-cord method for my Landmark shawl, and I need the same sturdy structure without the bulk.

A Google search gave me this: Chinese Waitress Cast-On. Brilliant! The video was easy to follow, and the resulting edge is sturdy and rounded and just stretchy enough -- just what I wanted! And then I found this: Chinese Waitress with a crochet hook. Mind blown, twice.

Have you found a technique lately that has surprised and delighted you?

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
My Website: Not Plain Jane
My Ravelry Store: Jane Cochran

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  6:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

While I do not have an answer, I wanted to say that I love the name of the cast-on.

Looking forward to what is suggested. Thanks for a great thread, Jane.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  8:51:30 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just learned how to turn a heel using a shadow wrap heel:

http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2013/03/01/sock-knitting-shadow-wrap-short-rows.aspx

I also just learned EZ's sewn bind off which isn't 'new' but new to me!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1803 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  10:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't it make you wonder where the name came from?!

I watched the video, and wow, working it sure looks unwieldy. One of the commenters said the same thing could be done with a crochet hook instead of a second needle. Whoops, there's a link to that above; will take a look later. I'll hope it's easier.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2014 :  03:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was fiddly, too, but I figured out how to do it just with my needles. When I saw how to use a crochet hook instead of the right hand needle, I was sold.

Kim, I learned about EZ's bind-off when I first started knitting, and I felt like I'd found a pearl. It's written down in the little notebook I carry with my knitting.
Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
My Website: Not Plain Jane
My Ravelry Store: Jane Cochran
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2014 :  05:22:28 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding EZ's sewn bind off, it matches the long tail cast on.

I learned this years ago when I knit a side to side sweater. First cuff edge where I used long tail cast on had a nice neat edge. When I did the traditional bind off on the second cuff edge -yuck, it looked terrible. It flared out. This was my first sweater using very expensive yarn and I knew I would never wear it like that.

This was prior to the internet, but I belonged to a knitters group on the old compuserve system and someone there told me about the sewn bind off. I redid it, and, beautiful matching cuff edges. I still use this set to match ends on scarves.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2014 :  07:29:57 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm anxious to try the Chinese Waitress Cast On, too. She says in the video that a lady was in a restaurant in Beijing and the waitress showed her how to do the cast on. Wonder if the waitress was wearing a handknit and the lady noticed the edging or if the lady had her knitting with her and they just started talking.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  09:42:16 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting this cast on.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  11:47:10 AM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane - what a wonderful name for a new (for me) cast on! Thanks for sharing.

Cindy
http://cpaknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  5:25:20 PM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great treasure hunting, Jane! I had to watch the video twice, I was initially distracted by her matching nails/yarn. But I can see the utility of this even if it is a bit fiddly.

Miriam
Knitshark

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  8:22:54 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried it. It is a really nice cast on. Tried it with the crochet hook first but thought it was awkward so went back to the first link and liked that much better. You do get into a rhythm with it. Thanks for showing us a new way to cast on, Jane!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe