Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Pattern sizing ??????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  09:46:41 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a old Brunswick cardigan pattern. The pattern is knitted top down. My problem is it only goes to size 46 bust, I'm 48 how do I adjust the pattern to fit me. Donna

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3995 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  11:32:10 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check the schematic first to see what the final measurements are. I find that older patterns sometimes allow for more ease and a small size's measurements match the measurements of my favorite sweater.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  12:03:03 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons I love top down is because you can try it on as you go and make adjustments. Just add some increases where needed.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  12:20:44 PM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all. This pattern doesn't give a final measurement. I think I will go by my favorite sweater measurement. I can say the designer didn't waste words in this pattern it's straight and to the point. donna
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  1:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're probably not using the yarn specified for the pattern, so you can always go with thicker yarn and lesser gauge, as long as you know what the gauge is. I'm pretty sure the pattern would tell you that! Knit a swatch and block it to see what happens.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  7:04:20 PM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't pick a yarn yet, it calls for Brunswick fore'n or Pomfret sport yarn. Circular knitting needles 3 and 6. 5 1/2 sts and 7 rows per inch. The yarn wasn't my problem I just didn't know what I should do to fix the size.
Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

64 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2014 :  7:35:37 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stitches per inch (from the pattern gauge) times number of stitches in the body will give you the garment size.

Janet in TN
Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

64 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2014 :  8:41:01 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Janettoo

Stitches per inch (from the pattern gauge) times number of stitches in the body will give you the garment size.

Janet in TN

I can't believe I wrote that!!

Stitches in the pattern circumference DIVIDED by stitches per inch in the gauge!!

Hanging head in abject embarrassment, Janet in TN
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  6:04:01 PM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Janet for the help..Donna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?