Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Seeking nearby spinners / guilds
 looking for other spinners in SW MO
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  05:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know of others in SW MO? (that is SW MIssouri).

Vanadia
Gabber Extraordinaire

Denmark
511 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  06:32:59 AM  Show Profile Send Vanadia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Becky, are any of these guild near you?

http://www.interweave.com/spin/resources/spinning_guilds/default.asp?country=USA&state=MO
Go to Top of Page

cena
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  7:44:29 PM  Show Profile Send cena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a shop in Carthage that has some Ashford wheels and parts:

http://clevengercreations.com/

Go to Top of Page

tulsa red
Warming Up

81 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  8:06:55 PM  Show Profile Send tulsa red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where in Carthage is this shop. I am in Tulsa and would drive there. there is nothing here that I can find. Everyother store that I have found is 4 hours away.
Go to Top of Page

GrannieAnnie06
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  12:24:23 PM  Show Profile Send GrannieAnnie06 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Becky in MO

Anyone know of others in SW MO? (that is SW MIssouri).

Where in Southwest MO? I live in SW MO... sort of.. between Rolla and Waynesville...

Finished is better than perfect
Go to Top of Page

cena
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  2:18:48 PM  Show Profile Send cena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shop is just off hwy 71, not far. It has a lot of embroidery stuff, but I was interested in buying a Traveller, and she let me spin on hers. I also got some spare parts that she had in stock, and ordered a crank through her. There is a phone # at the site to call. I don't think she sells fiber, and you'd want to call ahead to make sure they're home.

I have family in the area and get down there every other year or so. We usually stop and eat in Rolla. Got family in Broken Arrow and the Ft. Smith region too.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  06:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Becky, I think there is a spinner's group but I don't have the reference near me right now; I'll look it up when I get to the shop and post then. when I was looking for a knit group, the friend I asked said no, but here are spinners and they will either knit or crochet to use their homespun.

Edited to add: there is a group called Fiber Folk of SW Missouri. I'm emailing you with contact info.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  04:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vanadia, I'm afraid there was nothing there near me - or within reasonable driving distance.

I have found a knitting guild. Bumped into it by accident.
Started attending a bobbin lace guild, and found out that several are attending a knitting guild. I will find out more about them soon. Yea!!

NOW, if I could really find a spinners guild somewhere in my area. hmmm..
Go to Top of Page

Pepper
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  10:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pepper's Homepage Send Pepper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Springfield, Missouri. There is a group of spinners in Marshfield, MO. And there is a gal with a fiber studio in Hollister, MO. I found her contact info via the Ashford dealer listings.

The Marshfield guild seems pretty organized to me. They recently had a fiber fair. I've been wanting to attend a guild meetomg but never seem to get over to Marshfield. I think it is about 40 or so minutes from me. I hate to drive and sort put off that kind of thing.

I would love to meet other spinners in Springfield proper and get together once a month.

Pepper in MO
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  2:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pepper!! I am so glad to meet you.
I went to the fiber fair - did I mention I went to heaven!!!! That was where I decided it was high time for me to get a spinning wheel.

DO you know anymore people who spin in the Springfield area? I am a bit south of Springfield, but not so far, that it is a bi-weekly trip into town.

Let's get a spinning guild going!!
Go to Top of Page

Pepper
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  4:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pepper's Homepage Send Pepper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, if you want to meet in Springfield...just holler. It would be fun to get together to chat, spin and drool over all fiber related goodies. Contact me via wisteriahollow at hotmail.com. We can then e-mail directly.

Have you been to Simply Fibers on Campbell just north of Battlefield?

Toodles,
Pepper in MO

Go to Top of Page

Knitting Mommie
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  7:13:12 PM  Show Profile Send Knitting Mommie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Becky, what town are you in? I'm in Marionville and recently heard of someone in Aurora, I think she has a business out of her home. I think she must teach spinning, sell spinning wheels,etc.
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  7:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting Mommie, I am just a little south of Springfield. Who are you talking about that has a business in their home?? Enquiring minds want to know! ME!
Go to Top of Page

tulsa red
Warming Up

81 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  8:50:36 PM  Show Profile Send tulsa red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you guys been over to Pamona Mo. and gotten any fiber from Tongue River Farmes? I went over there about 2 weeks ago and got fiber and fell in love with the Icelandic. Can't wait to spin it up.
lena in tulsa
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  05:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tulsa red, I haven't been to Pamona, MO. But I did see their fiber at the Marshfield Fiber Fair. I bought a few things of theirs - if I am remembering correctly. I am still trying to remember which booth was whos.
There was one vendor there, I am STILL trying to figure out who they were - because I REALLY want to order some fiber from them. BUT I can't remember their name (company name).

Pepper, we REALLY need to get a spinning guild going in our area.
Go to Top of Page

tulsa red
Warming Up

81 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  8:42:11 PM  Show Profile Send tulsa red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Tongue River Farm people are kinda new to the area and dont't know to many spinners in the area but would like to meet some. I asked them to let me know when they shear there flock and I would come up and help so that I can learn how it is all done. They have Icelandic sheep.
Go to Top of Page

rodneyj
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  07:35:22 AM  Show Profile Send rodneyj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey,
I just joined the forum. I am in Anderson, MO and my GF will soon be moving from Pineville to Anderson (we both spin/knit/crochet - I weave/build looms/spinning machines). We have a lot of friends in Fayetteville, ARK and have been to the spinning guild meetings down in Winslow or Westfork (I get those two mixed up sometimes) and to the weaving guild in Springdale, Arkansas as well. But we are looking for something closer if we can. I have a little crappy "colonial upright" that I bought from a friend after fixing the broken leg. I bought some "yarn" on sale at Wal-Mart (Red Heart - don't cringe just yet - "Rag Doll" on sale from the clearance bin - it's 67% wool, corridale I'm guessing, quite soft, ??% nylon, and ??% acrylic) and cut out the nylon and acrylic, which left me with just the "pretty" dyed roving. I crocheted a "beanie" out of the roving and fulled it in the washing machine and gave the hat to the friend that I bought the spinning wheel from - she loved it! Anyway, I got the idea to get some more and cut off all that glittery junk and spin some more roving up on the wheel (it's double drive and didn't have a belt or anything, but there was some really rough wool which had been spun there on the bobbin so I thought I'd tinker with it and see if I could get it working). I got some masons string that I had lying around and made a drive band for it and proceeded to spin the roving into "yarn". My GF told me to "set" the twist with water, so I wound the yarn around some old 2 liter Pepsi jugs, filled them with water and dunked them in the kitchen sink till they were soaked. Then I took a bath towel and pressed out as much water as I could and let them to dry. The yarn turned out really good (I think) and the twist stayed in too. As you can tell I am learning about the whole spinning thing. I can crochet like a mad man, but I'm working on my first knitted hat. Sorry for such a long post, but I am happy to find other people in my area. Lately we have been trying to find knitting and spinning places not too far away to visit and it is a lot of fun looking at yarn and stuff. Thanks for listening. Rodney
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  07:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just found a lady in my church that is a spinner and she is going to teach me. Can't wait.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

rodneyj
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  08:52:48 AM  Show Profile Send rodneyj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wanda,

Like your blog. Good luck with the spinning! I am having a lot of fun with my little squeaky, rattly, shakey spinning wheel. I was intimidated at first about the prospect of spinning on a spinning wheel (granted I haven't REALLY spun - I don't think most "spinners" would consider the process of turning "pencil roving" into "yarn" a true form of spinning, but it is a nice safe place for me to begin - and the feeling of success with this simple exercise was great!). I like anything that involves researching and information gathering and collecting data before the hands-on stage begins, such as spinning. I like to read about and have enjoyed contemplating the workings of spinning wheels - especially that whole single drive scotch tension take-up thing! I looked breifly at a spinning wheel once and got my mind all wrapped around what was happening and then promply forgot how it worked. Just the other day I got it back again (actually figured what was happening with the drag, that allowed the yarn to wind on the bobbin when there wasn't tension on the yarn feeding into the orifice). It's like a puzzle/riddle or a mind teaser to me (OK, that sort of places me in the middle of the brain power eschelon right off, but I guess it's best to accept with contentment the "smarts" you was endowed at birth rather than pine away for something that you don't have - unless it's a spinning wheel rather than brainism that you're longing for). I like the idea of being able to make my own yarn just the way I want it (or however it comes out more likely), and I'm just enough of a "scrooge" to want to stop spending $$ everytime I see yarn that I think is cool. I'm sure there are a lot of other people in that boat. At first I couldn't understand what people meant when they alluded to being "yarn junkie" and having a "stash", but now I are one. :)

Also, Becky in MO: Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread (spinner newby excitement isn't worn off yet). I'm in SW MO and look forward to corresponding with others.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

HandspunDyedToo
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  2:19:38 PM  Show Profile Send HandspunDyedToo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
I'm north of Springfield about 25 minutes. I'm a self taught spinner, knitter and crocheter.
I work from home and I have a shop on etsy where I sell my handspun and I'd love to meet some other local spinners.
Someone mentioned "Simply Fibers" in Springfield....it's a great yarn store and Carol is super nice:)
I also went to the Marshfield fiber festival and am planning on going to the larger one that they have once a year in Sedalia.

www.handspunanddyedtoo.etsy.com
www.handspunanddyedtoo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bromeliad
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  10:43:58 PM  Show Profile Send bromeliad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently living in Springfield. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've been meaning to try out the Lacemakers of the Ozarks club, which meets once a month and looks pretty fun. They seem to specialize in bobbin lace.
I also enjoy spinning and knitting and I'd happily join a guild in the Springfield area.

Modified: Also, I found this -
http://www.textilelinks.com/guild/mo.html
a nice list of general Missouri textile groups.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe