Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 effect of stitch on felting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  06:46:41 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I got out my ball of leftover cascade 220. I knit swatches of stockinette stich on 9, 10.5 and 13 needle, I knit swatches of 2 X 2 rib, I knit swatches of garter stitch. As near as I can tell, the heaviest felt was 9, the lightest 13, but, it appears that which stitch didn't make any difference.

Do these results make sense? Are there any stitches that effect the weight of the felting?

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  11:34:16 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I want a firm base for a bag, sometimes I use the stitch I do for sock heels. Are you a sock knitter? It's simply slip one, knit one, slip one, knit one all the way over your stitches, then purl the next row. Continue doing those two rows.

I find that gives a denser felted fabric.

M L
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  05:29:22 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thunk, thunk

the sound you hear is me hitting my head for not thinking about using a heel stitch for a firmer fabric, since I knit socks all the time.

Do you think it would work for a hat band knit in the round? That's what I'm trying to make.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  10:24:11 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive me, I haven't had any coffee yet, but do you mean you are aiming for a felted hat resulting from knitting in the round with that stitch as the band instead of ribbing? I think that would work. In fact, it might wind up being very firm and without much give so make sure you have the right measurements or the hat could be uncomfortable. I've done that, too.

M L
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  11:29:02 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
umm, I didn't have my coffee before posting... so please forgive me for not being clear......

I'm planning on knitting a medium wide brimmed hat. Most of the brim will be fairly flat...a little curl up or a little tiny bit floppy will be ok, but it's to have a section at the back with a major up turn on it. I tried making one with 1 strand of cascade 220 on 10.5 needles, using garter stitch for the band, and increasing every 4 or 5 stitches every 4 or 5 rows. It turned out ok, but, the brim doesn't stay turned up very well. I tried 2 samples using 2 threads, one each on 11 and 13 needles and the fabric is just too thick.

So, all that long wind.....

I'm thinking I either need to find a somewhat denser stitch for the brim, so after felting it holds it's shape a little better.

or

do only 4 or so increases per row, but do them every 1 to 2 rows, still using garter stitch

or

I need to use the larger needles, 2 strands, fewer stitches, and stretch and stretch the felted fabric while wet to get it to fit.

mutter, ramble,

thanks

Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  4:32:57 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socker, how did this all turn out? Did you hat come out the way you wanted it? Your discussion was months ago and I'm late to the party but I would've tried two strands: one of your chosen yarn on the second one of a finer weight. Kinda like getting 1 1/2 the weight of your yarn. I've not tried it myself but I have thought of doing it to make some of my felting a littler lighter weight.

I'm checking out old posts and your discussion interested me. Hope you have a beautiful hat that came out of all this :-)

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  04:13:56 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the brim of felted hats turns up nicely if I do a couple of inches without decreasing before stating the shaping. Oh, and use a sturdy cast-on, e.g. 2-end cast on with a double thread for the short end.
As for giving it a decent "waist" where you change from the brim to the body - decrease radically (like to half the number of stitches) for just a row or two, then go back to the full number of stitches.
To get the fabric nice and dense, you need to knit with needles MUCH bigger than you'd normally use for that yarn. Which makes it a bit hard to decide just how big you have to make your hat...
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  11:42:28 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Double strands of Paton's Classic Wool and size 15 needles gave me a firm, sturdy felt with no stitch definition. Paton's felted quite quickly. Galway wool worked well, too. Cascade 220 took much longer to felt and almost always had stitch def.

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.